Chapter 22

Say what!

England

"Bryce are you absolutely certain about this" Shannon asked totally shocked at Bryce request.
"Will you do it for me please Shannon, I know it's a lot to ask but please" his voice cracked as he pleaded with Shannon.
Shannon nodded his head. "Come what may, we started this we finish it." He thought.

Scotland

Alasdair relaxed in the warm bath. His muscles felt tight and stressed. Shannon's been gone for two weeks and he didn't even deem it fit nor polite to send a message. Two weeks of hell have past and he was getting more tense and edgy by day. Something felt off but he couldn't put his finger on it. God he missed Shannon. His heart felt empty his bed lonely. Yet he be damned if he was going to run after him."Hell no fuck that! He's going to run back to me!" Alasdair proclaimed to the empty room. This damn castle is empty to him.

He sat back and tried with all his might to relax. He needed to get his mind off Shannon and his babes, but mixed with the longing was the anger. The anger that Shannon had masterly manipulated him. Anger at himself, he fell for Shannon's games. He was to damn happy that Shannon forgave him so easily that he didn't see anything beyond that.

His thoughts and silent ranting was disturbed by a knock.
"Enter" he loudly answered.
"My lord there's a message from England" the guard said.
Alasdair heart beat quickened. Finally Shannon send him a message. He suddenly grinned. Shannon is coming home.
"Well read it! Wait! Can you read" he rambled excitedly.
"Aye Your Grace" the guard answered.
Alasdair nodded at him to open the sealed letter.

The guard's eyes widened as he read the letter. Alasdair's patience wore thin at the guards delay.
"Read it for me not your damn self !" He bellowed out.
The guard swallowed the spit in his mouth. Sweat dripped from his forehead.
"Alasdair I hereby inform you that I have petitioned the Pope and the Church in Rome for a divorce. Shannon" the guards body shook visible.
"SAY WHAT!" He bellowed out as he lifted his body out of the bath. The guard dropped the letter and ran. His life was more important than his lordships marriage problems.

Alasdair picked up the letter and read it. He moved into the bedroom like a half dead man. His knees buckled and gave way beneath his weight. His naked body dropped on the hard stone cold floor. He rubbed his chest it felt as if his heart have been split into a million pieces. Have he wronged Shannon so much that he is willing to divorce him. He made a mistake he apologized for it was it not enough.

"Dair! Cormac shouted as he ran into the room. He halted in his steps shocked. Alasdair sat on the cold floor with a defeated look on his face.
" Son" he called as he approached him.
"He's divorcing me" Alasdair whispered. He felt lost in his own pain and sadness.
"What the hell is going on with those three? Have they no respect for their husband's? Asked Cormac in disdain.
Alasdair snapped out of his anguish and looked at Cormac with pure disgust. He balled his hands into fist. The cords of his muscles tens.
"Enough! " he bellowed out angrily. "That right there is why I lost him. Why I took me so damn long to see it I don't know, but right there is the disrespect we show him. Your foolish way's off talking." He spat at his father and pointed his finger at him.

Alasdair got up and pulled on a pair of pants. He turned towards his father and tapped his chest.
"He's my wife. The man I love. The mother of my children. Yet my actions don't accompany my words. I failed him and doing so I failed my children"  he said.
"Nay you did not fail. He needs to learn.........." Cormac tried to reason with him.
"Nay he needs to learn nothing. He's perfect as he is. It is I that needs to learn that I share my life with him now and none else"
Alasdair said as he pulled on a shirt.
"Look Dair........er perhaps you right but lord boy your friends need you now for council. The men that rides into hell and back with you. Dagues is beside himself. Ewan is to marry an English lord and Hammish have also been petitioned for a divorce. Why don't you sit and come up with a plan" Cormac said worriedly.

Alasdair looked at Cormac as if he have lost his mind. Amazed and shocked at the old man's nerve to ask him to sit council. He shook his head because this was of their own making. All of them have wronged the people they love in their own way. They have made stupid and foolish mistakes that is costing them dearly and he's not a man never have been and never shall be that surrender or admit defeat. He might have been inadequate with Shannon but not a coward. He will fight until his last breath for his love until the bitter and with wherever weapon's he have in his possession.

"They have to do what they must to get their families back and so must I. Send messages to all clans. Those who can march will march. I want all chiefs with their clans. All highlanders and lowlanders will meet here in two night. They must make haste"
he ordered his father.
"Alasdair you gathering your army. Please son for the love of God don't be doing anything stupid" Cormac pleaded.
"Go get my army. Two days from now we marching to England"
Alasdair gritted out.
"What you going to do Dair" Cormac asked worriedly.

"I'm running and my aim is England" he said ad he walked out the door. He left a stunned and shocked Cormac behind to do his bidding.

There's something he have to do first before he made his move on England. Alasdair made his way down to the belly off the castle. He stopped at the door of the old dungeon and flamed a torch. A couple off years ago they changed the layout off the castle dungeons. It may look like a prison here but its not and only he hold's the keys for this place. You have to pass heavy armed guards to in here. He took out the heavy skeleton key one off five and unlocked the first door entered and relocked the door. He lit another torch behind him and unlocked a cell door with two keys. Tapped on a block off stone that revealed a door. He took a deep breath and unlocked the door with the two remaining keys.

He felt overwhelmed. This was his last hope. Hope that his action will accompany his words this time. War is coming and this time it be the most fierce and important battle. The battle for the one he loves for his family. A battle for his heart and soul. It might have took his stupid self a long time to understand what Shannon is about but he's understood now. He just hope and pray that that knowledge did not come too late but hell he's determined to give it his best fight ever. He will not retreat. He will not surrender. He will not admit defeat.

Vote and comment. Thank you.