Chapter 24

Alasdair looked at Shannon debating in his mind and heart on how to start. "It felt right! Nothing felt right. That was not a damn answer." He thought. He watched as Shannon's family edged back from them. Out of the corner off his eye he spotted his men moved considerably closer to them and still moving. "Aye curiously bastards. They want to hear all" 

He watched as Shannon nervously bit his lip. Was he regretting his decision now. Too late for that they were at a standoff now.  He might as well strip himself naked.

"Shannon you know I'm not a gentle man. I canna court you like a gentry. I'm a Scott born in the highland. Born from war and battle. Lost, pain and hardship is something we Scotts are born into. Dealt to us by your grandfather and his fathers before him and upheld by your uncle. Nay! Let me finish! He held up his hand to stop Shannon retaliation.
"I'm not blaming you. You had nothing to do with it but its who I am. What I did was not in disrespect or mistrust it was out of protection. To protect you and our family and I'm nay saying I'm sorry for it. I would do it again in a heart beat. I know you did not have an easy life growing up. Perhaps if I did it in a more gentle way I wouldna have hurt you so badly but I don't know the soft way. I ,we all off us had to fight ,lose family, friends. We spilled our guts to be the independent Scotland we are today. "  Alasdair struggled to keep his composure. An inner battle raged inside him.

" I'm a hard man and dunno gush over everything bonny and soft in life and to say you love me means you have to love me all as I am. I love you all of you and I wasnae pushed,I didnae shove I just met you and fell in love. Mo Cridhe Is tu' mo ghra' ( my heart I love you). You know these Gaelic words Shannon I whispered them often to you." He said holding Shannon's gaze.

"You wanted to thought me a lesson, lesson well learned Shannon. In marriage there are two people as one. Your word should be carried by your actions. Aye. What was your lesson than in this Shannon?Why was I the only one schooled?

Shannon bowed his head shamed. Sadness washed over him. Alasdair wanted a reply.
"That I wronged you as much as you wronged me. I ran and put our children in unnecessary danger. I say I love you but refuse to bend towards your dominating hard and protective nature. I'm sorry" he spoke loudly and clear.

"You forgiven long before you spoke the words Mo Cridhe." Alasdair said.

Shannon smiled at Alasdair but it fell  from his face. Alasdair's body was still tense.
"You happy that your sorry is enough for me. I brightens my heart that you happy." Alasdair said as he moved closer to Shannon. He gathered him into his arms bend forward to his ear and whispered the words only he could hear.
"Why divorce me? Why is my sorry not good enough for you? Why are you my biggest weakness and my greatest strength?

He loosened his grip on Shannon and tried to move back but Shannon clutched the back of his shirt. Alasdair reached behind him and pried Shannon's finger lose. He took a step back.
"Nay I willna grant you your divorce and damn my bairns to be bastards but if you wish to live separately than aye I grant you that. There's nothing more to say. I'll be taking my clan home. You can send message when your near birthing. I will come the rest we shall work out as to where the children will be reared." Alasdair said as he turned around to walk away from Shannon. His eyes tightly shut. He hoped he pushed Shannon hard enough to understand.

"If you don't want him can I have him? Is he as big as his body stands underneath that kilt? Claire asked.
"I would thank you if you can keep your damn mind from wondering what's under my husband's kilt!  Shannon screamed.