Salem - The blind kid.

All praise is due to Allah, The Most Beneficent and The Most Merciful. We praise Him, and seek His forgiveness. We seek refuge in Allah from the evils of ourselves and the mischief of our deeds. Whomsoever Allah guides cannot be misguided and whomsoever Allah misguides cannot be guided. Peace and blessings be upon the final messenger, Muhammad (SAW), upon his family and his noble companions

- Ameen.

This is a true story about a man named Rashed. He tells his story as follows :

I was not more than 30 years old when my wife gave birth to our very first child.

I still remember that day very well as it became an habit to stay out all night, having useless talk with my friends. 

I remember making them laugh so hard on that particular night. I had this amazing ability to imitate others. I could change the sound of my voice until I sounded exactly like the person I was mocking.

No one was safe from my biting mockery, even my own-friends; some people started avoiding me just to be safe from my tongue!

I remember making fun of a blind man whom I'd seen begging in the streets during that night. And the worst part of it, is that I was the one who caused him to trip and fall on the ground.

The man turned his head around, not knowing what to say as my friends and I were laughing.

When I came late at home, I found my wife waiting for me. She's in a terrible state, and  when she saw me, said :

'Rashed...where were you?'

'Where would I be, on Mars?' I said sarcastically, 'With my friends of course!'

She was visibly exhausted held back her tears as she said :

'Rashed, I am so tired. It seems the baby is going to come soon.'

A silent tear fell from her cheek. I suddenly felt that I'd neglected my wife. I'd have taken care of her instead of going outside with my friends.

I quickly took her to the hospital; she went into the delivery room, and suffered through long hours of pain. I waited patiently for her to give birth but her delivery was difficult and long, when I got tired I went hom and left my phone number there so they would call me whenever the delivery was done.

Later on, they called and congratulated me for my newborn son, Salem. I headed back to the hospital and as soon as they saw me, they told me to go see the doctor who's been overlooking my wife's delivery.

"What? But I just want to see my son Salem!" I cried out

But they just told me to go see the doctor, which I did. As I received the news, I was shocked to learn that my son was born with a serious form of deformity in his eyes, and it seemed that he had no vision.

Suddenly, I remembered making fun of that blind man begging in the streets that night.

SubhanAllah, you only get what you give!

At the opposite of me, my wife wasn't sad; she believed in the decree of Allah and was content. How many times did she advise me to stop mocking and backbiting others but I didn't listen?

Now I'm paying the consequences of it.

Since that day, I didn't pay much attention to Salem. I pretended that he wasn't at home with us, when he started crying loudly, I'd leave our room and go to sleep to the next room.

My wife took good care of him and loved him dearly, as for myself, I didn't hate him but I couldn't love him either.

When Salem first started to crawl, my wife celebrated it. Two years later, he started trying to walk but we discovered that he was also crippled. I decided to stay away from him.

The more I stayed away from him, the more my wife took care of him, even after the birth of my two other sons.

Years passed ...

Everything stayed the same. I kept fooling around with my group of friends, just like a toy at their disposal who's ready to entertain them whenever they wanted. And I always thought the other way round.

Instead my wife never gave up on me and kept making Dua for my guidance. She never got angry with my reckless behavior ...  but would become really sad when she sees me neglecting Salem and not paying attention to him !

Salem grew and went to a special school for handicapped people. Years passed by and my days were all the same; eating, sleeping and hanging out with friends.

Until that day ...