Same Story, Different Writers (Part 2)

Alright, so if you read the other parts you get it. Same story, different authors. I still haven't gotten a third person to offer to do this, so if you want one, let me know. This is a novel from WinterWolf561. 

Novel: Annabella: The Last Sorceress

Winterwolf561

Original Edition:

Liana pov.

"We are nearly there," Liana whispered into her stallion's ear and patted the side of the faithful animal's neck. The raven-haired She-Elf sat up straight in her saddle and looked around, taking in the familiar snow covered mountains around her. She had spent her childhood in these mountains.

A small smile hushed over her lips as she remembered all her mischievous adventures, that had once seemed so great. She could almost feel the bite of the frost from playing in the snow, fiercely fighting imaginary gods and dragons. In those past ages, she had still felt the cold. Liana shuddered slightly at the memory of snow sneaking into the gaps of her clothing and found herself wishing that those times had never passed.

She had been so young, not even old enough to master the simplest of spells.

Still, not much had changed here in nearly one millennium. Everything still looked pretty much the same. Even the city that lay in the valley below, half buried in snow, looked very similar.

Tharenshall was snuggled in between two mountains that reached up into the clouds. The settlement had grown. It was now a city of maybe ten or fifteen thousand. The city was surrounded by the old gray wall with its towers. Chiseled out of the mountain on the left was a fortress with broad towers.

Liana laughed quietly, still lost in joyful memory, her breath billowing out in a misty cloud. Then, after adjusting her cloak's hood, she gently nudged her horse's flanks with her heels and continued down the snow covered path toward the dark wooden gates. As she had expected the gates were closed for the night but she could see light flickering through the shooting slits of one of the guard towers.

The elf tugged on her horse's reins. The chestnut colored animal stopped, allowing her to gracefully slide out of her saddle. Liana knocked on the heavy wooden door three times and folded her hands patiently. Her gaze wandered over the deserted Battlements. Since when was security this slack?

The answer was obvious. The very gruesome and bloody Troll wars of the North were history. After the Troll's had suffered through three bitter winters their main concern had been to get out of the mountains and migrate further south, dreaming of more fertile lands. No one had seen it coming. The Tribes had united and overrun the far north of the Empire before anyone had been able to muster the strength to stop them. After nearly a decade of countless bloody battles, the Trolls had been forced to submit. Their chieftains had sworn their loyalty to the Emperor. Most of their tribes were now under the protective mantle of the Empire. The rest had fled back to their caves, defeated and broken.

Ever since this war the North had been the most peaceful place in the realm that humans called the Empire of the West.

"What do you want! It is night. Don't you elves sleep?" the deep bellowing voice of a Troll echoed down to her from the battlements in dwarvish, the most common language within the Empire.

Liana hid her smile and looked up. "We do and I would love to find a nice warm bed were the wolves won't eat me in my sleep," she called back up.

"Hmm," the Troll grunted. "Can't leave you out here to freeze. Just wait, I'll let you in."

Liana sighed and her gloved fingers closed around the black leather bound hilt of her one and a half handed sword, stroking over the cross guard with her finger. Then she released the hilt. No, she wouldn't need that tonight.