A Big Sloppy List of Cliches (By Genre)

So, I promised this chapter quite some time ago, and I decided it's finally time to deliver. This is a chapter on every Cliché I can think of. Go back to my 'clichés do not equal bad' before you think this chapter is being too critical.

Chances are you have several clichés in your story. The best thing to do is be aware of all of the common clichés so you can decide when and when not to do something. This list, much like my lists of descriptive adjectives, is far far far too large to possibly catch them all. These, as I said, are the most common and frequently mentioned ones, and even then I'm bound to miss a million.

Since clichés tend to go all over the place, I will list them by genre. Please note that just because a cliché is in a certain genre doesn't mean it might not show up in another. There is no reason romance clichés can't show up in a science fiction, for example. I also try to avoid double listing clichés, but I probably do a few times. The first person who adds ten cliches in comments gets a dedication.

Romance 

A stunningly beautiful heroine.  

A princess heroine.  

A heroine who doesn't realize how beautiful she is.  

The hero is a prince, tycoon, or billionaire. 

The heroine is under 18, while the hero is slightly older.  

The heroine cries every chance she gets.  

The heroine is 'independent' but can't seem to do anything for herself.  

Whenever the heroine does something, she does it better than the hero expected.  

The heroine has no faults.  

All other women are catty or otherwise after the heroine's man.  

No other women compare to the heroine in skill and ability in anything they do.  

The heroine has a small, feminine job, anything that doesn't get in the way of her spending time with the hero.  

Or... the heroine works an awesome professional job, but doesn't seem to be the money.  

The heroine has all finances in her life paid for by someone else.  

The heroine has a kooky friend that is always there to help/annoy her.  

The heroine has some ridiculous name, like Blaze or Psi 

The hero or heroine are already in a relationship, but there partner is in some way secretly evil.  

The hero treats the heroine like dirt initially, but they warm up to each other.  

The hero in some way sexual assaults the heroine, but she doesn't mind or even see it as sexual assault. Anything from kissing her when she says no to sexually harassing her.  

The heroine is a virgin. 

The hero is a promiscuous stud.  

Evil Relatives/Ex's/Other woman who only want to keep the couple apart.  

A city girl meets a rough country boy, he gets her to unravel.  

The heroine needs to be rescued, usually by another man who becomes sexually aggressive with her.  

Human heroine in love with a supernatural male.  

Mysterious stalker becomes love interest.  

Heroine hates men and claims she'd never get with one.  

Two people with nothing in common fall in love.