I Can't See Anything... But Your Empty Smile

(Esther's POV)

A year and seven nanny's later, i'm sitting waiting for my newest applicant to arrive. My kids don't seem to warm up to anyone. It's almost like they know that since the nanny's are nothing like their mother, there will be no love. At least they dont remember the hurt their mother put them through.

I walked sullenly to the door when the doorbell chimed. I was surprised to see a beautiful woman around my age standing in front of me. As slender as a model, and as cute as a button. Her hair danced on her shoulder, and her smile, brilliant yes, seemed empty. I showed her into the room, and she sat gracefully on the couch. She scaned the room as if she'd been in it so many times before.

"Hello my name is Esther, but i'd prefer it if you call me Gabe."

"Hello Gabe."

"I have three kids, which i suppose you already know. They're all very rowdy. They don't like nannies much, but i need to work. So they should take a liking to you after a while."

"I hope they do."

"Do you have any kids of your own?"

"No. None at all."

"And how old did you say you were?"

"Umm. Twenty-three."

"Okay. I figured , you're very pretty."

"Why thank you."

"I mean , if you're okay with the boarding, then this should go along quite finely."

"I don't mind a basement room. I like to be to myself at night anyways."

"And you don't have to worry about paying rent, just take care of the kids."

"Yes sir. I did a lot of nanny jobs when i was out of the country."

"Yes. Ireland. How was it?"

"Amazing."

"How long were you there?"

"A bit over a year."

"That's interesting. A lot of red heads?"

"I enjoy your small-talk. And actually, no not really."

"Surprise , surprise. And thank you, ever since my wife left, i distance myself from women. I'm sorry if i seem a bit awkward."

"No, no. It's fine."

"Well the kids should be home from school in an hour. Would you like to meet them before you take the job?"

"I will be taking the job, and i would love to."

"Sounds solid."

(Raine's POV)

I looked at my ex husband and smiled. The fact that he no longer knew my face was very good. It pleases me. I no longer haunt his dreams. Oh he loved me something fierce, i know. Still. It is nice to know that that fire has dimmed. I couldn't wait to see my kids. I'd only agreed to being a stay-in nanny for a year. So i'd only have a year with my first bundle. I wonder if i can pull it off without blowing my cover.

(Esther's POV)

She's gorgeous. I don't know how long i can hold myself around her. It's been so long since i've had close contact with a woman around my age. Will i be man enough to keep to myself?