Chapter Thirty Four

Renne hoisted up a cardboard box into her arms, carrying it out to her truck. One of the open flaps on the box revealed to her what was inside. It was multiple picture albums, old toys and trinkets, and other paraphernalia from when she was younger that she had not taken with her when she left Alpine Ridge in a hurry five years ago. 

               Setting the box on the passenger side floor of her truck, Renne made her way back inside the house when she saw Swayde's truck pulling into the drive. With a wave, Renne greeted him, waiting patiently as he parked his truck, following Renne inside. 

             "You're getting an awful early start to your day. Leavin' already?" Swayde asked in a not teasing, but very serious, exhausted voice. 

              "Yeah, we want to get an early start so we can get back at a decent time." Renne thanked Swayde for holding the door open for her as she entered into the foyer to get another one of her suitcases. Before Renne could pick it up, however, Swayde grabbed it, along with the other remaining bags, heading back outside.

            Renne followed him, watching as he carefully put her bags in her truck. She leaned against the side of her truck, waiting for Swayde to finish his task. When he was done, Swayde turned to walk inside, but Renne's hand on his arm stopped him. "Hey, can I please talk to you?" Renne asked, tucking some hair behind her ear. 

           Swayde looked at Renne, tucking his hands in the pockets of his jeans. "Sure, what's up?" 

           "You have been really quiet and not talkative to me these past few days. It almost seems like you are tryin' to avoid me. What's goin' on?" 

             Swayde hesitated, knowing he had to filter what he would respond with. He wanted to tell Renne that he was still in love with her, and it was killing him to see her with someone other than himself, but he knew that wasn't a conversation that should be had right now. "Just have a lot on my mind and wanted to give you space. I'm fine." He shifted slightly, hoping Renne would believe his bluff. 

              "Okay, well I know you well enough to know you are not fine. Seriously, what's wrong? What's on your mind?" Renne knew this wasn't the time, or place, to have a deep heart to heart conversation, but soon, Matt would be done with the barn chores, and Renne knew he would want to leave immediately.

               Swayde let out a sigh. "I'm just tryin' to get used to you being gone again. For the past month, I have gotten to see you every single day. And now, you are marrying Matt and moving back to Montana and who knows when, if ever, I will see you again after your wedding. And, everything that has been going on has got me thinking...and I just want to tell you that I'm happy for you to be movin' on with your life, but this week has shown me just how short life is. I can't let you leave without you knowing that I have always, and will always love you, no matter what happens. I will always be in love with you, and nothing will change that. I know what is happening now is not the life we had planned for us, but it's God's plan, not ours. The ring on your finger isn't one that I gave to you, but nonetheless, you are still engaged, and I'm happy for you, that you will be doing what you love with the man you love in the state you love. But, life is too short for anyone to not be happy." Swayde took a deep breath, slowing himself down. He was talking as fast as a livestock auctioneer. 

           Renne stood, her head spinning, as she tried to wrap her head around everything that Swayde had just told her. It was exactly what she had reckoned was wrong, but she didn't expect Swadye to actually tell her. Knowing she was right about Swayde still being in love with her, Renne knew she couldn't tell him that she felt the same way about him. When she began to respond, Swayde stopped her by taking a step closer.