Chapter Twenty Two

"Man, I'm glad that we are finally done for the day. It goes so much quicker with someone to help me, but dadgum, I'm awful hungry." Swayde stated, walking into the house, hanging his cowboy hat on the peg right inside of the door. Taking a seat on the bench in the foyer, Swayde took off his cowboy boots. Renne did the same, then made her way into the kitchen, Swayde closely behind her. 

      After opening the fridge and cupboard doors, Renne saw how sparse her resources. Walking to the pantry, and flinging open the doors, Renne saw just how little she had to work with to make supper. 

      Turning around to face Swayde, Renne put her hands on her hips and said with a smile, "Well, cowboy, looks like we gotta go shopping." 

      Swayde was leaning back against the island with his hands resting on the counter top. His ankles were crossed as he grinned at Renne. "Why? There's plenty of food here." There was a slight teasing chuckle in his voice. 

      "Really? If you offer grilled cheese and tomato soup one more time I will have to-"

     "What's wrong with my grilled cheese?" Swayde interrupted.

      "I've had it almost every single time I have come over. Even though there's nothin' wrong with it, it's nice to have something different ever once in a while." Renne slipped her hands into the back pocket of her jeans. "Literally all you have here is noodles and cereal, and about a million cans of corn and green beans. Nothing I can whip into for supper."

      "Okay, in my defense, I only have to cook to myself. I never have company over that I need to cook for. And recently, I've been at your grandparents house more then I am here and you know that your grandma won't let me leave on an empty stomach. Besides, us cowboys don't eat a lot."

     Swayde looked so cute with his crooked grin, arms folded, leaning back against the sink, but Renne kept her thoughts to herself as she said, "Okay, well, first off, I know that's a lie. I swear, I've spent more money on groceries because of Matt alone in the last couple years then I spend on my horses." Her smile faded slightly at the thought of Matt; it was at the point where just thinking about him made her upset. "Anyways, I'm fixin' to go to the store tomorrow and get you stocked up on food. Then I'll make you the best supper you've ever had." 

     Swayde's smile faded down to a grin as he stood up from his leaning position against the island. Making his way nearer to Renne he said, "You always take such good care of everyone else, you know that? When was the last time that you did something for yourself?" 

     Renne shifted in her spot as she thought about it; Swayde had a point. Sure, Matt used to take her on thoughtful dates when they could find the time, but it had been such a long time since Renne had taken even a day off to just go have fun and relax on her own. Do something with her friends, or anything. She was always told that she works too much, but she always chuckled at people when they said that. What she did wasn't work, because she genuinely enjoyed it; if she stopped working, she didn't know what she would do. 

     Looking down at her appearance, she realized that she was wearing her best pair of work boots which had a half inch cut in the leather on the right foot, which causes her feet to get soaked every time there was even the slightest bit of water, and the soles were non existent. The pair of Wranglers she was wearing weren't much better. They were worn, the hems frayed, and there was a rip on the left thigh that came from a barbed wire fence. Sure, Renne had sewn it up, but it was still slightly visible if you looked hard enough.

     Before Renne would answer, Swayde said, "Tomorrow, I'm takin' you out to dinner. Then we could do absolutely whatever you want to do. But, you deserve a day off from all of this craziness. Just give yourself a day to relax and unwind." Renne opened her mouth to protest, but Swayde put a finger up and interrupted her before she could even speak a word. "Don't even think about tryin to change my mind. Don't even say anything, because that's what we were gonna do, okay?"