Chapter Thirty One

"Thank you all for coming." Doug said when Renne, her grandparents, and Swayde all entered the room. He hadn't taken his eyes off of his wife, and his voice was hoarse, filled with evident tears.

        Renne sat down beside her sister, grabbing her frail, bony hand. Looking at her sister's ghostly, sunken face broke Renne's heart, but she knew that all too soon, Mallory would no longer be suffering, and she would be in heaven with their parents. "I love you, Mal." Renne said her tearful goodbye to her sister, placing a kiss on her hand. 

            Renne could tell her sister tried turning her head to look at Renne, but was too weak. Slowly her eyes blinked open, then shut. "I...love...y...y'all..." Mallory's raspy voice whispered out as quiet as a mouse. Just like that, her eyes rolled back, and her head turned to the side, her mouth agape. Renne watched her sister take her last breath. Machines all around the room began beeping, telling everyone the obvious. 

          The bedroom door opened, and in entered the hospice nurse who checked Mallory's pulse before shutting off the loud machines. The sweet nurse carefully closed Mallory's mouth, and turned her head back straight before quietly saying, "I will give y'all some time." 

           The second that the nurse left the room, a sob escaped Doug's lips as he stared at his lifeless wife. Renne bit her lip and dropped her head as she still held her sister's hand. Feeling a hand on her shoulder, Renne closed her eyes, surprised no tears could fall. 

          Everyone just sat beside Mallory's bed, completely silent for the next hour. The only sound that could be heard was the occasional sniffle and shaky breath. To pass the time, arrangements were made, and goodbyes were said. 

          When she was as ready as she could get, Renne stood up from her chair, Swayde following her as she gave one last look back at her sister. Renne's shoulders seemed to slump as she walked out of the door of her sister's home. 

         As bad as she wanted to look back for just one last glance at the place her sister and her family had called home for the past few years, Renne knew if she looked back, tears would fall, and if tears fell, she wouldn't be able to stop them.

        Swayde didn't say a single word to Renne as he drove her back to her grandparents house. His hand was tight on the wheel as he kept his truck aimed straight down the long dirt road. Sparing a glance to his precious cargo on his right, Swayde saw Renne staring down at her hands, picking at her nails, most likely trying not to cry. Unsure what else to do, Swayde switched hands on the steering wheel, reaching over to rest his right hand on Renne's shoulder. Opening his mouth to try comforting her, Swayde stopped himself when a swell in his throat arose. Quickly he swallowed, pushing down the own tears that had surfaced in his eyes.

          The drive to Mamaw's house was the longest thirty minutes of Renne's life. Once Swayde's truck was fully stopped in the driveway, Renne slid out of the cab, making Swayde's hand fall from her shoulder. 

          Walking into the house, Renne saw Matt sitting down in the living room, watching TV. Upon her arrival, he stood up, walking over to his fiancee. "Baby..." 

          Before Matt's open arms could embrace Renne, she backed away, putting up a hand in front of her. "Please...I just want to be left alone." With that being said, she slipped past him, walking straight up to her bedroom. 

          After grabbing her keys and her jacket, Renne made her way back downstairs, met with a sea of wondering faces sitting in the living room. She didn't hear words come out of her mouth, but she must have because Matt stood up, with Swayde right behind him. 

           "Renne, you are in no shape to drive. You don't need to go anywhere." Matt's voice spoke, seeming agitated. 

           Swayde grabbed Matt's arm, pulling him back from following after Renne. "Just let her go. She needs to be alone right now." His grip never loosened even though Matt pulled to protest. After Matt scoweled something at Swayde, Swayde replied, "Matt, trust me on this. I know Reagan a lot better than you do. She will be alright. She just needs time." 

           In the meantime, Renne had walked outside, to her truck. Matt, seeing this, knew that there was nothing he could do, so he nodded, pulling his arm free from Swayde, sitting back down in his chair. 

          Nearly an hour had passed before an impatient Matt leaned forward in his chair. "I am going to go look for Renne. She's been gone a while now."    

           Swayde was already standing. "I will go look for her. I know this town like the back of my hand, and I know where Reagan goes when she is upset." Raising his voice slightly to power over whatever comment Matt was about to make, Swayde added, "And before you protest, I will call the second I find her. I'll be back in a while." Against Matt's will, Swayde headed out to start his search. Taking his hat outside with him, Swayde hopped into his truck, starting his drive with a prayer. 

           "God, please be with Reggie and her family right now. Comfort her and help her to feel your hand. Please lead me to where she is, and please give me the right words to comfort her. Thank you for everything you have blessed us with. In your name, I pray. Amen." 

            Swayde backed his truck out of his spot, following the tire tracks from Renne's truck. Based on the scattered gravel, she had peeled out when she left. His eyes keen on finding her, Swayde looked for a continuation of the tire markings. Sending up a thankful prayer when he saw a trail of matted down grass, Swayde turned off the main road, heading down the grass path, hopefully leading him to Renne. 

                                   ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A/N: Hey y'all, sorry it has taken me so dadgum long to update. Between moving into my apartment and starting classes again, I have been so so busy. I know this update is uber short and sad, but I promise a much better one will be on the way soon. Thank y'all so much. Please let me know what y'all think! God bless.