Chapter Twenty Eight

"Well, it's been two weeks since Matt proposed. How are you feelin'?" Swayde asked as he drove with one hand on the steering wheel. He took his eyes off the road for a second to look at Renne. 

         A grin rose to Renne's lips as she replied. "Honestly, I'm feelin' good about the wedding. These past couple weeks have given Matt and I a chance to talk, and it's been...good. I feel like we are finding our rhythm again." She fiddled with her ring as she made eye contact with Swayde. "But, this trip we are about to make, that's what I'm not feelin' so good about." Renne looked out her window, changing the subject.

       Swayde took in a deep breath. He reached a hand across the middle seat to rest it on Renne's knee. "Reggie, it's goin' to be alright. I know it doesn't seem that way right now, but the hospice nurses are doin' everything they can to make your sister comfortable. And, I know you don't want to hear it, but, when it's all over, she won't be in pain anymore." 

         Renne's eyes began filling with tears as she looked over to Swayde. "Thank you. I know you're right, and it's time I have to start talkin' about this, so I'm glad you brought it up." 

         "No problem." Swayde retracted his hand from Renne' knee, placing it back on the steering wheel to turn right into Doug and Mallory's driveway. 

         As always, Swayde opened the passenger side door for Renne, offering her a hand down from the cab, dropping it as they walked up to the front door of her sister's house. Taking a deep breath, Renne let her fist drop on the door three times, taking a step back as her and Swayde waited for the door to open. 

         After waiting a couple minutes, with no answer, Swayde lifted his hand to knock on the door, but the large wooden panel opened, revealing an exhausted looking Doug. His beard was long and scraggly, like it hadn't been shaved for a couple weeks. "Hey guys." His voice was groggy, as if he just woke up, but by the look of his appearance, it was evident that Doug hadn't slept for days. "You're here to see Mal, right?" Doug hadn't looked at Swayde nor Renne since they arrived.

         "Yeah. How is she?" Renne asked, stepping forward, hoping Doug would let them in, but he didn't budge. 

         "I'm sorry, but I'm afraid that this isn't a good time right now." Doug's voice was defeated.

         "We can't see her even for five minutes?" She pleaded.

         "Reg," Swayde started, his voice firm. He placed a hand on Renne's lower back, telling her to listen to Doug. "We will come back later, it's alright." 

           Renne turned back to look at her sister's husband. "Please call us if anything changes." 

         Doug nodded before slipping back inside the house, closing the door, leaving Swayde and Renne alone on the porch. 

           Before Renne could address her worries, Swayde wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close to him, telling her everything was in God's hands as he stroked her hair. 

           "Let's go home, please." Renne whispered into Swayde's chest, refusing to allow a tear to fall. 

         With a sigh, Swayde led Renne to his truck, helping her inside before making his way to the driver's seat. 

          The truck ride was quiet as Swayde tried to think of something to make Renne laugh. "Do you remember my junior prom, I took you as my date and Doug was one of the chaperones? Mallory was at your house taking pictures of us and all Doug and Mallory did was fight the whole time? Mallory eventually got so mad at him that she stopped taking our pictures and just told us to go to prom?" Swyade was chuckling at the memory.