Brother Drama

A few months later, summer was over and the leaves were turning from green to brown. The air had begun to cool, so the guys started wearing flannels again and I traded my shorts for jeans.

Living with Soda was incredible. The move was pretty seamless, and we settled in really quickly. We worked well together, and I can barely remember what it was like to not be with him. I don't think I can imagine my life going forward without him.

A little less than a year ago, when the other guys were still here, Lillian had an old tablet that she gave the guys to begin the introduction to technology. We had taught them the basics, just in case they came across needing to use technology for some reason with me, Jenni, or Lillian not around, they'd know what to do.

Jenni actually showed them all Instagram and Snapchat because apparently some people in school asked Pony what his usernames were and he told them he certainly had them. He didn't, so she helped him make his accounts to avoid suspicion. Then we had the other guys make them so we could give Pony a few followers so it looked more real.

Despite Soda getting cellular device, Darry was still against it for himself and Pony. He thought they could develop some sort of radiation poisoning from it. He thought the same thing about our flat TV's, and the microwave.

It took some persuasion from me and Pony, but we finally talked Darry into getting at least a flip phone. After lots of convincing, he finally gave in. I think what finally convinced him was that he could text anyone at anytime to check in, and call from anywhere.

I don't think they used it very often, but they still had access to the tablet Lillian gave them. It was very slow, and couldn't be off its charger for more than a few minutes at a time but it didn't really bother the Curtis's. I think they rarely even touched it and kept it charging all the time.

When Darry and Ponyboy finally had their own flip phones, we showed them all how to add each other in as contacts, and we put my number and Lillian's in them as well. We taught them how to turn it on, what buttons to press to create a text, and how to make a call. That was really all they could do on their phones, which sufficed them enough.

"How come we didn't get these earlier?" Ponyboy asked.

Pony was sitting on the couch of their home, squished between his brothers. I was playing teacher by teaching them the fundamentals of the flip-phone. Soda was helping them out a bit, since he's been rocking with a smart phone the past few months.

"The radiation will give us cancer, and we will die," Darry stated bluntly. His focus was intense on the little screen as he punched his index finger into the key over and over again, so agonizingly slow.

"What?" Pony's face shot up and looked at me fearfully.

"No, no. It won't give you cancer," I promised.

Ponyboy flipped the phone around and noticed a little camera lens in the back of it. "What's this?"

"That's a camera," I said as I walked over to him. I showed him how to access the camera application on his phone, and how he can take pictures and save them. Just looking at the little screen, the camera quality is terrible and so small.

Ponyboy raised the camera up in my direction, and I flashed him a cheesy smile. He clicked the button, and the camera shutter sounded from the phone. Then Pony stood up and pointed the camera at the couch, and took another picture of his brothers.