Rules & Regulations

This was going to be so much more difficult than I had anticipated. How was I going to ensure that seven greasers were going to behave themselves in today's culture?

Darry and Pony I think were the two I didn't have to worry so much about. Steve, Soda, and Two-Bit were boarder-line on my radar, but it was Johnny and Dally I was the most nervous for. I really didn't want Dally going around running the streets of Tulsa like he did before, and I was afraid that if anything triggered Johnny's trauma that we would end up in another Bob situation.

When I went to 1965, at least I had a preconceived idea of what the life was like and the culture so I could blend in. From school, to music, to movies that taught me what I needed to say and do just to slip into the decade undetected. These guys have nothing to go off of besides what I can tell them.

Should I quarantine them in the house? My parents would be home soon and they would have a cow if they saw I was harboring seven random guys in the house like fugitives.

"Okay." I exhaled when we got all the boys to sit patiently on Lillian's couch. "I am the only person in this room who knows everything from both sides."

"Why does this matter?" Dally asked impatiently.

"Because I have lived in 60's and in 2017 as a teenager, so you gotta listen to me. The world is a lot more different than you're used to."

"Imagine what life was like in 1915," Lillian stated as an example that they would understand. "That's the same difference between 1966 and 2017."

"Oh, I see," Darry said. He went off to list inventions that were made between those years. "Band-Aids, traffic lights, movies, cheeseburgers, television, credit cards, and videocassettes just to name a few."

Steve asked, "but how much more could the world change?"

"I can't really think of anything more that would be improved," Soda added cluelessly.

"Lots." I pulled out my phone from my back pocket to remind them of how much technology has grown. "Like the rectangle."

"Is time travel a normal thing in 2017?" Pony asked enthusiastically.

"No. This was... a glitch," Lillian answered.

"Just please be on your best behavior, and treat everyday like church. Don't call any attention to yourself, and..." I sighed, giving up. "Pretty much just do what we do."

"Times have changed," Lillian told them. "You guys aren't in your time anymore."

"You keep saying that." Dally rolled his eyes.

"At least you're listening," I said to him with a cocky smirk.

"Whatever," he mumbled.

"I know we keep saying it and it's annoying but you guys sorta need the information to be shoved down your throats until it clicks," I apologized.

I glanced at Pony as he looked at Johnny, who wrapped his fingers over the back of his neck and his eyes were wide.

"Relax, it's just a figure of speech," I reassured. Johnny let out a small sigh of relief. He always takes things too literally.

"So, do you know how to get us back?" Soda asked.

"How would I know how to get you back to the past? Who do I look like? Marty McFly?" I asked sarcastically.

"Marty McWho?" His face scrunched in confusion.

Lillian intervened. "I'm working on it."

"Just to recap, don't steal, no smoking, no drinking, no swearing, no hitting on girls all willy-nilly, be a gentleman, be good citizens, don't be burdens on society, and don't call any attention to yourselves. Sound good?" I felt like a teacher.

"Question?" Steve raised his hand.

"Answer." I pointed at him.

His hand came down and he asked, "what about our clothes?"

My lips puckered together. I didn't really think of that, but I should have known because that was one of the first things I did to fit into their society. What they were wearing was fine. Their style was timeless and honestly something most guys I know would wear now. But it was the middle of summer, they needed to wear stuff that won't roast them in this heat. They can't live in one outfit indefinitely anyway, so we needed to take them shopping.

"Shopping?" Lillian asked while rising her lip, not loving the idea.

"Shopping," I said with the same lack of enthusiasm. I wished we could keep them inside all day everyday, like pets. But shopping was definitely necessary.

"Shopping," Dally mocked in a high pitched voice, following by the instant rolling of his eyes. He reverted back to his normal deep voice to say, "this is dumb."

"Don't be vicious."

"Take it easy, California." He leaned back against the couch.

"We should probably go before they close," Lillian stated.

"Go where?" Pony asked as he was the first to grab his shoes.

"Shopping," I answered.

"Shopping," Dally mocked again. I glared over at him and he raised his hands in defeat. "Okay, okay. I'll stop."