Welcome to 2017

Bri's POV
July 26, 2017
10:45a.m

I didn't really remember falling asleep last night. Lillian and I read the entirety of the book, but I might have to reread the ending again because I was so tired. Time travel is really exhausting.

It still boggled my mind that I was finally home. Well, not in my own bed, but in my own time. I didn't have to be careful about what I said anymore, people would finally understand my pop culture references again, and I can finally be back to normal. I should have felt relieved. But why wasn't I happy?

Lillian has been my best friend since we were ten years old when we met in the fifth grade. I was the new kid in class, I was shy and very nervous for my first day. Our teacher assigned Lillian to be my reading buddy, which turned into her inviting me to sit next to her at lunch. I gave her an extra chocolate pudding cup my mom packed, and she has remained my closest friend ever since.

With our parents out of town for another week or so, Lillian's house was going to be my home away from home. I couldn't wait to see my parents again. I never could have imagined that I would have to live without them with no contact for an entire year. It made me really empathize with the Curtis brothers, they will never get a chance to talk to their parents again.

I even missed my little sister, Jenni. She is three years younger than me, which classifies her under the "little sister annoying" trope but I love her anyway. She's my sister, I will always love her even if I can't tolerate her.

With the sun flicking my eyelids open, I heard Lillian's electric toothbrush vibrating from the room next to me. I gave in to the peer pressure, and I groggily walked to the bathroom and greeted her.

Due to classical conditioning, I was fully expecting to hear bacon crackling on the stove and eggs frying in a greasy pan. I could almost smell it, so it was strange to hear nothing but vibrations. The house felt too quiet. I guess that's what happens when you live in a house with a minimum of three rowdy guys. I need to wipe off that Angel Face and come back to reality.

"Good morning!" Lillian said excitedly as she looked at me in the mirror's reflection, although she was muffled from the toothbrush. Her tone made it sound like she wasn't expecting me to be in the house. She spit in the sink and continued to brush her molars.

"Morning." I rubbed my eye.

"How'd you sleep?"

"Pretty good. I'm just exhausted."

"Yeah, I bet. You should probably eat something. We are an ingredient household at the moment though."

"Okay," I said with a yawn. "I'm gonna head downstairs."

She mumbled something, but I could not understand her. I headed over to the stairs and trudged down the steps. My stomach was growling, craving something sweet. I ransacked her kitchen, but couldn't find anything easy and appetizing. There is nothing I wouldn't give for a slice of Darry's chocolate cake right now.

The best I could find were Eggo waffles.

I popped a couple of them in the toaster and grabbed the canned whipped cream, milk, a plate, and some maple syrup. I felt a strong sense of belonging when I saw modern labels on the foods once again. I poured myself a glass of the milk, and waited for the chocolate chip Eggos to be finished toasting.

I heard Lillian practically skip down the stairs and she met me in the kitchen. I forgot that she was a morning person. I, on the other hand, was not.

Lillian had gotten dressed already, while I was still in the pajamas I stole from her. She wore a thin green shirt that she tucked into a pair of jean shorts with a black belt separating the two garments. "How are you feeling?"