Chapter Eighteen

Juliette

It was the last day of sophomore year. I was excited to leave, but I was also sad because I was going to miss some of my teachers. Especially Mr. Truman. Speaking of him, a month before today, he asked me to create my one drawing on a giant canvas, and that it had to be done at least on the last day of school. He never said why I had to create it on a giant canvas, he just said to, so I did. It took me exactly a month to do because I had to take up a good portion of the canvas, but I was done.

   After I finished getting ready for school, I was welcomed with a kiss from Clay.

"Ready, gorgeous?" he asked.

I smiled with a nod and we grabbed my canvas, carefully walking upstairs with it to put it in the bed of Mr. Mangette's truck. Then, we all left to go to school.

It was yearbook signing day, just like every last day of school in my community, so when we got there, we had our pens at the ready and ran inside to greet our friends.

After I had to sign hundreds of yearbooks, I decided to sneak off to put my canvas in Mr. Truman's room. He was signing kids' yearbooks, and after he finished signing the last kid before me, he smiled at me.

"You did it," he said.

I chuckled. "I did."

He took the canvas from me and removed the white sheet I had over it so the charcoal wouldn't get everywhere, putting the canvas on the floor and grabbing a later, two nails, and a hammer. He tore down previous kids' art and put them in his closet until an entire wall was empty. Then, he began hammering the nails into the wall. He asked me for assistance, and we put the canvas up. He got down, put the ladder away, then stood beside me as we admired my art.

"I see emotion," he said. "Pain, mourn, loss. But also happiness, fearlessness, and hope. You are destined for great things, Juliette Dawson. And I'll be at every one of your art shows."

I smiled as I looked at him. Tears pooled in my eyes. "I'm going to miss you, Mr. Truman."

He smiled and wrapped me in his arms in a tight hug. "And I, you, Juliette Dawson. So," He held my shoulders. "Tell me all about it."

******

"We cannot get a divorce!" my father yelled. "I'll lose everything!"

"You do not love us, Chay! We will not tolerate your awful behavior anymore!" my mother cried.

I watched the two argue as I listened to music with my earbuds.

"I do love you!" my father shouted. "I - I just... I have my issues! You can't leave me, Kaprice! Please!"

He was lying.

I looked out the window at the people on the street, and an old man looked at me as we stopped at a red light. He was eating a muffin and drinking coffee. I waved slightly at him, and he slightly waved back. We drove off.

My parents continued to scream at each other as I soon became lost in the words of the peaceful song I was listening to:

"Oh, I'm in agony. Your anatomy... has gone.  And the hold that you had of me didn't have any, at all... "

Suddenly there was honking and I hit the passenger side seat my father was in. Everything soon faded. But then, as I thought I was going to die then and there, I heard my mother's voice.

"Goodbye, Juliette," she whispered.

I closed my eyes and a tear trickled down my cheek, her warm touch leaving me which I knew would be forever. And though my lips were stitched and my throat was closed, I was able to say something in return;

"Goodbye, Momma."

(A/N):

The end... :) If you want to know the song, it's "Embody Me" by Novo Amor. And try to read the next chapter-thing. I just want to talk to you all for a little.

Thank you for reading my story. I love you all <3