Chapter Seven

Juliette

It was Friday, which meant after today would be the nice, "long" weekend. George said I could stay the night at Taylor's, which I was even more excited about. I got dressed into a floral long sleeve and white shorts with sandals, and I curled my hair, putting my mascara on and spritzing perfume on me after putting deodorant on, making sure I smelled good in case Clay hugged me.

I decided I'd just bring my perfume with me.

******
Clay

"Relax, man," my big brother Parson said as I frantically looked for an outfit before the bus got to our house. "You're twitchin' like a maniac."

"I gotta look good!" I cried after trying on about seven shirts.

"What are you trying to look good for? You already like a girl?" He grinned at me.

"Shut up." I said, and I settled on a light, faded pink and white shirt with brown khakis and my black Converse. I gelled my hair, but I didn't want to use too much since Juliette liked to play with and style my hair throughout the day.

I used Parson's cologne since his cologne always made girls want to be around him. That's how he got his three year long girlfriend, Olivia. I sighed nervously as I looked in the mirror, trying to stretch out the v-neck to show my collarbone. Girl's like collarbone's, right?

"Good God, Clay, you look like me when I was trying to get ready for mine and Ol's first date." Parson laughed. "This girl's got you whipped."

"Stop, Pars! She... " I sighed heavily. Was he right, was I overdoing it? What if she just showed up in a sweatshirt and jeans? That seemed to be her signature look.

"Hey," Parson came over and grabbed the back of my head, making me look at him. "Look, I'm not trying to discourage you. Just don't dress up in a tux, okay? She'll like how you look. You got your looks from me," He grinned.

I rolled my eyes.

"Hey,"

I looked at him. His face was serious but kind.

"Introduce me to her sometime. I wanna see what she looks like." He messed with my hair after I blinked hard. "And relax, man, your twitchin' is scaring me."

I nodded slightly and he kissed my head, pushing me out of our bedroom after the bus honked outside our house.

******

When I got to school, I looked around subtly for Juliette as I messed with my hair and checked to see if I used enough cologne or put deodorant on. I entered the school when I couldn't find Juliette on campus, and that's when I saw her and Ian talking. Ian obviously liked her, and that made me frustrated. Yeah, he was a little short, but he was a good lookin' guy. I hated to admit I was jealous and felt threatened, but I did. And I was.

I looked at Juliette as she began talking to Abe who walked up to them. She had on a beautiful purple, blue, white, and black floral long sleeve and bright white jean shorts with a tear on the right side. Brown and black sandals held her tan feet, her toenails painted white.

Her long, brown hair was curled and a chunk was tucked behind her right ear since her hair was parted to the right. Her back looked broken because her backpack was so heavy. I wanted to hold it for her, but she would probably think that was weird.

I felt so ugly compared to her beauty. I studied her face more. Her forced smile looked pained. And under her caked makeup, I could see a bruise. Her thick lips were cut and scabbed and scarred. I had noticed she had a lip biting habit. Probably from the trauma she was going through with her mother and brother.