Chapter Eight

Clay

"A date?" Parson asked in disbelief after I stormed into our bedroom and collapsed on my bed. "With who?"

"Some guy named Ian!" I yelled angrily.

"Hey, calm down, you're seizing out, man!"

I couldn't help it. When I would get extremely emotional, I would start ticking. And I was pissed. I had never hated anyone before, but I despised  Ian. I hated him to the core of my being. Juliette was mine. Abe told me they had a "thing" a few years back. She liked him and he liked her back, but she didn't know.

. . .

I needed to see her.

A.S.A.P.

I texted her, asking if we could meet since my house was close to Taylor's. She didn't hug me after school. I just wanted a hug, at least. I didn't want to have the feeling that I lost her. I didn't know what was wrong with me, we had only met four days ago.

The best four days of my life.

Juliette said we could meet at the part ten minutes from my house and fifteen from Taylor's, so I sat at a picnic bench and waited until I saw her on a pink bike. Definitely not hers. She dropped it on the grass and ran to me, a terrified look on her face.

"What's wrong?" she asked. "Why do you keep twitching?"

I grunted in embarrassment and tried to stop, but when I couldn't, I got more frustrated. "I - I... " I began as I tried to stop. "I - I can't - Fuck!" I buried my face in my hands and panted heavily. I felt like I was gonna explode.

Arms snaked around my neck and I looked up, seeing Juliette standing on the picnic bench and hugging me, her face in my neck. I took a deep inhale of her perfume and sighed, wrapping my arms around her, hugging her back, my tics finally stopping.

"Just need your daily dose of Juliette?" she asked softly.

I smiled. "Please."

She giggled.

My heart fluttered.

******

"So, you, uh," I said to Juliette as we sat on top of the picnic bench. "You and Ian are going on a date, huh?"

She shrugged. "Yeah. I'm kinda nervous."

"How come?"

"Well, I mean... I liked him from fifth to seventh grade. I don't have as much feelings, but something's there. I just don't wanna do anything wrong."

My heart shattered at her words.

"Taylor wants me to wear a skirt, but I just wanna wear leggings and a sweatshirt. It's always cold in movie theaters."

All I could do was nod.

"Well," she sighed. "I'm gonna get going, Taylor's probably pacing her living room, waiting for me." She wrapped her arms around me, hugging me, but I couldn't move. I just stared ahead of me.

"Hey," she said. I looked at her. She looked up at me with large eyes. "Hug me back."

I hugged her tight, my hand on her head, and she sighed, hugging me tighter. We stayed this way for a while until she moved back and blinked softly at me.

"Relax," she said softly, gently stroking my cheeks with her thumbs, her hands on my cheeks. "I researched that ticking as much as you were isn't good. I don't need anything bad happening to you."