Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

MILES

My heart bled quietly the entire way home. All I could think about was how I didn't want to lose Grace. But deep down, I knew that if she stayed after being offered something that could change her life so drastically, she would be miserable. It wouldn't matter if she had me to keep her company, it wouldn't be the same. It wouldn't be enough. There were just parts of Grace that I didn't understand. We'd both thought she was alone in this, that no one could ever really understand her struggle, but now we knew...

We were wrong.

This was a good opportunity for someone like Grace. Dangerous, but good.

That night, Grace and I agreed that we didn't need to talk about the offer. I knew that was her way of saying she was scared I would talk her out of it and it was my way of saying I wanted to put off that particular heartbreak for as long as possible. We both knew where this was going, and although it killed me to admit it, it was what was best for Grace.

That's right. Not me. I wasn't what was best for the girl I loved. That title was now held by a group of people I knew only as the Paranormal Peacekeepers.

Two weeks passed in a blur, and before I knew it, Grace was walking across the stage of the gymnasium, accepting her high school diploma.

"That's my girl," I whispered to myself, clapping along with the rest of the audience. "Told you you could do it."

Pride rushed through me as she stepped off the stage. I was so damn proud of Grace. She had come so far since we met, and it had nothing to do with me. Yeah, I taught her how to throw a punch and I showed her how to properly outline an essay. I gave her the black tourmaline pendant, and I was there for her first slow dance at prom.

But the confident woman in the cap and gown, the one shining brightly as she crossed the floor, that was all Grace. I couldn't take credit for that confidence. Not at all. Grace had found herself all on her own. And she was still finding herself.

She still didn't understand what kind of darkness was pulling at her, but tourmaline or not, she still felt it. Every day she felt it and every day she fought it.

She was the single bravest woman I'd ever met. And I knew that no matter where I went, no matter what kind of people I came across, that fact would never change. She was brave in ways I'd never understand. And seeing that bravery shining in her eyes, I knew what I had to do.

And it was such a simple, honest solution that I hated myself for not thinking of it sooner.

"We're so lame," Cole said as we sat in the basement sharing a twelve-pack.

"Hey now, lame is good," Grace argued. "Lame is great."

Cole rolled his eyes for the umpteenth time that night and made his way to the stairs.

"Where do you think you're going?"

He cocked his head to the side, slapping both hands to his hips.

"I'm not sitting around all night watching you two make bedroom eyes at each other. Nu uh. No, sir."

"But, Cole," Grace whined.

"Nope," he held up a hand. "I'm out. I'll see you girls tomorrow."

Before either of us could argue, he was up the stairs, leaving Grace and I alone in the semi-darkness.

I scratched at the label on my beer and smiled to myself. "How's it feel?" I asked.

"How's what feel?"