Chapter Twenty-Seven

MILES

Grace was a completely different person on the ride back. She was still hesitant to engage in conversation, but a calm, serene smile never left her face. Whatever it was that had gone down with Marlow had changed her, and for the better, it seemed.

I watched Grace closely as we entered my house and called out for my mother. I knew she had something in store for Grace, I just didn't know what. But as we pushed open the kitchen door, I had to laugh.

There were streamers everywhere. Pink and green confetti lined the counter tops and the table, which held a large sheet cake with 'Happy Birthday, Grace' written in delicate cursive letters.

"Surprise!" My parents called out as Grace stepped inside.

The smile on her face was priceless. I'd never seen it shine so bright. But even though her face said one thing, her body said another.

She wasn't quite sure what to do. With her hands at her sides, she just kind of swayed in one direction and the other, unsure of the correct social etiquette for a birthday party where she was the guest of honor.

I'd anticipated that much. I didn't figure she had many parties growing up. From some of the horror stories she'd told me, it would have surprised me if any of her foster parents even remembered her birthday, let alone celebrated it.

"You really didn't have to do this, Meg."

The fact that Grace called my mother by her first name delighted me to no end. And the fact that my mother requested it told me that she really, truly cared about the girl I had quickly fallen for.

"Nonsense," she said. "I wanted to."

They embraced in a tight, awkward hug before my father rounded the table and took her in his arms as well.

"Dude, this is so Mayberry," Cole said from behind me. "It's adorbs."

"Adorbs?" I laughed, shoving him away. "You're so gay, dude."

"Shut up. You love me."

I guess Cole finally realized that I was okay with his sexual preference because he didn't censor himself around me anymore. Which was fine with me. He was much more fun when he was himself.

"Hey, guys?"

Cole and I stopped laughing long enough to acknowledge my dad.

"Could you two pause the bromance for two seconds and get me a lighter?"

Everyone erupted in laughter, especially Grace.

"Ha, my father the comedian. Hilarious." I rummaged through the junk drawer and tossed a matchbook his way. "Don't quit your day job, dad."

It took him three tries, but he finally managed to get the candles on the cake lit. All eighteen of them.

My mother lifted her ancient digital camera to her face and I was reminded of every birthday party I'd ever had growing up. She had always been there, smiling, hugging, documenting the whole thing.

Grace never had that.

But now she did.

After the four of us sang Grace an extremely butchered version of the birthday song, my mother snapped a few more pictures and then finally lowered the camera.

"Okay, birthday girl," she said, smiling at Grace like she was her very own. "Make a wish."

After the party, I drove Cole home while Grace flipped through the leather-bound journal my parents had given her. Every time I glanced at her in the passenger seat, she was tracing her fingers over her initials that were burned into the front.