Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

GRACE

Miles and I sat together quietly as we waited for the doctor. Both of us knew better than to push the issue of college any further. We just didn't share the same ivy league dreams and that was something he'd have to accept.

When the less-than-friendly man in charge of my care entered the room, Miles jolted up in his seat, face eager, eyes worried.

"How are you feeling, Grace?"

His demeanor had changed. The light in his eyes was no longer cynical and cruel, but worried. Which scared the life out of me. Something was up.

"I feel fine."

"Good." He took a long breath and moved to sit at the foot of my bed, rolling and unrolling a few sheets of paper in his hand. "Well, I've got your test results here."

He half-heartedly tossed them on the bed, shaking his head like the lab work had failed him.

"And?" Miles asked.

"And nothing." He stood, snapping his fingers in irritation as he paced the length of the claustrophobic room. "Everything was normal. Her blood count is great, there are no signs of toxins or drugs. Blood pressure, sugar levels, temperature- everything is completely normal."

Not gonna lie, it was a bit shocking to hear the word 'normal' associated with me.

Miles shook his head. "But that's good, right?"

"In a way. It tells me she's healthy, but it doesn't explain the bleeding."

I sat quietly, stunned that a doctor – a man of science – couldn't explain what happened. In my mind, that could only mean one thing.

See, Miles? I'm not special. I'm cursed.

"So, what now?" I asked once the lump in my throat dissolved enough to speak.

"Now, I send you home."

"What?" Miles snapped. "She was bleeding from every orifice in her face! You can't just send her home like nothing's wrong!"

"I'm sending her home to rest," the doc said calmly, "but if anything, and I do mean anything like this happens again, I want her brought back in as soon as possible."

He stared us down, eying me suspiciously when I had nothing further to say and glancing at Miles, waiting to see if he had another outburst waiting to be set free. Thankfully, he held his tongue and turned to stare out the window.

"There's no point in you staying here, Grace. Our hospital has limited staff and limited lab resources. I'd prefer it if we could transfer you to a bigger hospital, one more equipped to deal with something like this, but-"

"But Martha doesn't want me to go," I finished for him.

He scoffed and rubbed at his tired eyes. "No. Your mother seems persistent on getting you home. But..." he paused, shoulders hunching in discomfort as he leaned forward and lowered his voice. "But if you wanted me to call CPS and explain the situation to them, maybe-"

"No." I shook my head adamantly. That was the last thing I wanted.

Yes, it sucked living with Martha, but if CPS started snooping around there was a small chance that I'd be moved. Again. And that was the last thing I wanted. Martha was a neglectful bitch, but she wasn't abusive, not like some of the other foster homes I'd lived in. She was safe, in her own flighty way. Plus, I would be eighteen in a couple months. No point in uprooting everything right now.