Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

GRACE

An hour later, I was sore, tired, and dripping with sweat. But I couldn't wipe the stupid smile off my face.

Miles had taught me how to throw a punch, how to disengage myself if someone grabbed me from behind, and where exactly to aim if I were ever attacked face-to-face. When we first started, I tried everything in my power to dissuade him from what we were about to do. I didn't see the need for such knowledge. But as the minutes ticked by, I started to understand the draw.

I knew first hand how fear could shut you off from the world. It was that damn powerful. However, it was clear that Kira had used what she learned to reemerge confidently after her attack. I commended her for that. I respected the hell out of her and I'd never even met the woman. But I wasn't so sure I possessed that same kind of strength and grit.

"Okay, game time. You ready?" Miles asked, widening his stance.

No, I wasn't ready. Not at all. What he showed me made sense, I just didn't know if my body could do it. I didn't have that much faith in my physical abilities.

But what worried me the most was the fear. Was I the kind of person to shut down when confronted? Was I a weak person? When push came to shove, would I run smack dab into the inability to protect myself? To raise my fists in defense?

I sure the hell hoped not.

"Yeah," I lied. "I'm ready."

"Good."

He pounced.

Not two milliseconds after he uttered the word, he sprinted towards me. I yelped and, without thinking, extended my hand as he wrapped his arms around me. Before he was able to get a good hold, the butt of my palm connected with his jaw, snapping his head back on impact.

"Shit, I'm sorry!" I reached out to steady him as he stumbled backward, rubbing his neck. I'd never hit anyone before in my life. Not even in self-defense.

"Sorry?" He asked, grimacing in pain.

"Yes! For hitting you!"

He planted his feet. "Grace, I told you to hit me."

"Well, yeah, but I didn't mean to do that!" My gloved hands went up to hide my face.

"Babe, that was instinct," Miles laughed while tucking me into his arms.

Well, instinct felt like shit. I didn't want to hit him. Hell, I hadn't even planned on it. But when he charged me, something clicked, and I reacted.

"But, it's you," I said, leaning against his solid chest. "I shouldn't want to hurt you."

"Doesn't matter. I told you I was going to attack you and instinct kicked in. That was good."

Good was not a word I wanted to associate with hitting my boyfriend.

"Let's try again," he said.

"What? No! I don't want to do that again," I whined.

"Too bad."

Before I could stop him, Miles whirled me around, my back to his chest, and gripped me in a crushing hug.

"What do you do?" He whispered in my ear. "I've got you. You're not going anywhere. What. Do. You. Do?"

Without instinct to help me out, I flipped through what he'd shown me before. I couldn't elbow him in the solar plexus- my arms were pinned to my sides. I couldn't smash my heel into his instep- he had me lifted off the ground. I didn't have a clear shot at his groin- he was behind me. So, that left the one thing I really didn't want to do. But I couldn't talk my way out of his hold, so, I did it.