Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

GRACE

Miles crumpled to the ground beside me and a scream jumped out of my throat on its own volition. When I looked up, searching for the source of the danger, I was met with the angry eyes of Anthony Hopper and Company.

"What the hell, man?" Cole screamed.

I dropped down on all fours as they advanced. My trembling hands roved over Miles' head. He had a growing welt on the back of his skull, but he was breathing steadily.

"Shut up, faggot."

I cringed at the word but looked up to find Anthony glaring at Cole, another beer bottle - this one full - aimed at his head.

The stench of hops hung tightly to Anthony's clothes and breath. He stepped clumsily into our little threesome and looked around, eyes unsteady, mouth pulled down in a grimace. He was completely hammered. And I was furious.

"What the hell is wrong with you?"

I sprung to my feet and stepped over Miles, anger flaring to life in my gut.

"Why would you do that?"

My hands shot out, connecting with Anthony's chest, and he stumbled back. One of his lackeys had the good sense to grab him to keep him upright. But that just meant he was holding my target still.

"Grace, no! Don't!" Cole knew what I was planning to do..

Before I could even consider the repercussions of my actions, my hand was sailing out in front of me, connecting with Anthony's cheek with a resounding smack! His head whipped to the side and he held still for a moment, slowly bringing a hand up to cup his face.

"Bitch!" He barked.

His shock didn't last long. Furiously, he dropped his hand and advanced, only me in his sights.

"You're awful brave tonight, little girl." He pointed to Miles, who was still out cold. "Especially considering your knight in shining polo just got his ass kicked."

I planted my feet, squared my shoulders, and stood my ground. What else was there to do? What had started out as the perfect night had just grown worse and worse with every breath, every heartbeat. And there was something inside me, a voice that threw up its hands and just said, 'Know what? Screw it.'

I stepped forward, right into Anthony's reach.

"One of these days, you're going to piss off the wrong person," I said around clenched teeth. "Then your ass will be the one on the ground."

Cole moved to stand behind me. "What the hell are you doing?" He whispered.

"Is that so?" Anthony asked, chuckling to himself. "And I suppose that person is you?"

A menacing smile tugged at his cheeks before two meaty hands grabbed onto my hips and pulled me forward, flush against his swaying body.

I didn't hesitate.

He was off his game; drunk and uncoordinated.

I let instinct take over.

My knee jerked up, connecting solidly with his groin. He doubled over, howling in pain, but I didn't stop there. I didn't want to stop. I shoved against his shoulders, sending him to the ground. Within seconds, I was on top of him, smashing my fists into his cheek, his jaw, his nose. Blood poured from his nostrils, coating my knuckles, and still I didn't stop.

"Grace!" Two arms grabbed me around the waist and hefted me up and away from the monster lying on the asphalt. "Grace, stop it! Have you lost your mind?"