Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

GRACE

After leaving Miles' house, I walked home and crashed. Hard. Everything that had happened throughout the day had sapped the energy right out of me. My bed had never looked so good. I face planted into the covers with a groan and vowed not to move until my alarm blared to life the next morning.

Just as my breathing softened, I jarred awake.

Rap-rap-rap.

My chest tightened at the unfamiliar noise and I turned my face to the side, squinting to search the shadows. Nothing moved. I inhaled deeply, searching for the telltale scent of rot that often accompanied a visiting spirit as my heart raced. Still nothing. No scent. No cold. No movement.

When it happened again, my body sagged in relief.

I bolted up in bed and turned to face the window. In the moonlight, Miles' battered face was twice as handsome. He tapped on the glass and smiled.

Quietly, I opened the window and he pulled himself inside, grunting in pain as his body rolled onto the bed.

"That," he said, cringing in pain, "was not my smoothest move."

"Shh..." I held my finger to my lips as I tried not to laugh. "You'll wake Tammy."

He tilted his head forward so he could see me.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Thanks for asking."

I smacked his shoulder playfully. "What are you doing here? It's the middle of the night."

Miles lifted himself up on one elbow and shuffled until his head rested against my thigh.

"Couldn't sleep."

I wove my fingers through his hair and tugged. "So, you decided to wake me up so we could suffer sleep loss together?"

He smiled and nuzzled higher, nipping at the waistband of my pajama pants.

"Something like that."

I ignored the tingles racing through my body at his touch. Being with Miles in the dark amplified everything. His touch, his smell, his voice. Everything had a sensual bite to it. But I quickly reminded myself that we weren't alone.

I pointed to where Tammy was sleeping soundly in her bed and raised my eyebrows. Miles frowned but mimed zipping his lips closed before giving me two thumbs up. I rolled my eyes as he chuckled.

"Whatever, goofball."

I moved the covers back as quietly as possible as he slipped off his shoes and laid them on the floor. I scooted all the way to the wall, giving him as much room as possible. I kept my hand on his hip as he settled in beside me. From the way he moved, I could tell he was in immense pain, but he was trying not to show it.

One solid arm slid under my neck while the other wound its way around my abdomen. I smiled into the darkness as Miles pulled my back to his front and a contented sigh caressed my ear.

"Comfy?" He asked.

Yeah, I was comfy. As comfy as a girl could get while her cheeks heated and she tried not to laugh at the way her boyfriend's all-too-obvious desire poked her in the back.

"Yup." That seemed like the safer answer.

After kissing the back of my neck, my jaw, and my shoulder, he let out a deep breath, snuggled into the pillow, and hugged me tight.

"Goodnight, Gracie."

I could feel his heartbeat at my back and tingles pulsed across my skin with every thump. Before I closed my eyes for the night, I took the hand he had rested on my stomach and pulled it to my lips.