XXV

Kimi stared at herself in the mirror, wondering if she'd done too much, if she'd gone too much out of her way to look like she belonged with the higher class. She turned around slowly, examining her image. Her dress was satin, off the shoulder, and floor length. Luckily, the rose gold stilettoes she'd wore added several inches to her height so she wouldn't be stepping on the front of her dress.

She'd bought both the dress and stilettoes just the day before—she was a last minute shopper. Sage Publishing closed early on Fridays, so she had some time before she picked up Ranmaru from daycare. The dress itself had been a penny more than she wished to spend, as had the shoes, but she couldn't resist once she saw the outfit on herself in the fitting room. Treating herself to something every once in a while wasn't bad, was it?

A knock came on the door, "Are you ready yet?"

There was a hint of irritation in his voice, probably due to the fact that she kicked him out of his room over an hour ago, so she could take over and get ready. His bathroom was bigger than the guest bathroom and had much better lighting, perfect for hair and makeup.

Kimi gave herself one last glance over in the full body mirror hung against the wall. The burgundy dress went well with her tan skin, and she had slicked her hair back to show of her shoulders. She'd done her makeup all neutral, including nude lips, in order to bring all the attention to her dress.

Sticking a leg out, she briefly wondered if the high front slit was too much.

Another knock, this time one more forceful, sounded, followed by the impatient voice of Sasuke. "How much longer are you going to be? Did you forget we have to drop off Ranmaru?"

"Coming!" Kimi called.

Spritzing her wrist and, neck with a bit of perfume she had, she grabbed her rose gold clutch—another penny too much she'd spent—off the bathroom counter and made her way through the bedroom to the door.

She quickly unlocked the door and pulled it open. "Okay, I'm ready," she announced.

Sasuke who'd been standing in front of the door only stared. And stared. And stared. Kimi's face crumpled taking his stare as bad.

"It's too much, isn't it? Or is it not nice enough?" Kimi asked, looking down at her feet. "You should just go without me."

She turned around, ready to head back into the room, but was stopped when the Uchiha grabbed her by one of her wrists and pulled her to face him. She stumbled in her heels, but his strong arms steadied her and kept her from falling.

Her held her arm up and told her, "Turn around."

She was unsure at first, but slowly turned around, letting him see all of her.

"Kimi," he began. He spoke her name so assertively, she wasn't sure of what was going to come out of his mouth.

"I don't have the words to explain how stunning you look right now." He continued, pulling her close and wrapping his arms tightly around her. "I don't even want anyone else to see you like this," he admitted lowly. "Only me."

"Sasuke..." Kimi murmured, looking up to his face. There was something in his eyes that made her chest tighten and heart flutter.

He leaned down, capturing her lips in a soft kiss, not caring that they were glossy. Pulling away, he smirked. "I'll relish in every man's envy when they see you at my side."

Kimi pursed her lips, turning her head away. "I'm not some object for you to show off, you know."

"Of course not," he agreed, squeezing her hip, making her jump. "You're my woman."