Chapter 28: Dreams and Nightmares

“I speak the truth in my dreams.”

“I take you gave the letter to Ares?” Victor inquired thoughtfully.

Eden dug Sephoris out of her pocket and opened it. She waited for the point to stop toward a certain direction and stalked toward it.

Will was wrapped around in Rachel’s arms again. She was happy Will wasn’t trying to shove her away from him—it would’ve been awkward for a guy to try and get away from a girl like her in public. Eden could feel the pressure of her glare from behind her. It felt like ice was following her around. The air she breathed even felt like ice.

Eden shivered and zipped up her jersey jacket. She went beside Amelia who was complaining to Mason about how Ares didn’t deserve to be one of the Twelve Olympians. Her presence made Eden feel comforted alone. And more warm.

She was silent the whole walk.

The city was normal like any other. Noisy. Loud. A lot of businessmen and women passed them with cellphones held to their ears. Roofless cars zipped by with teenagers cutting classes, screaming into the air. Eden rolled her eyes. Others might have found it an odd sight for them to be out at this time of day. But, cutting classes in this side of America was normal to people here. She used to cut most of them and spend it with Alex on the school rooftop.

The compass led her into a full circle. She followed the direction to her right and bumped into Will. A few steps later, she followed the direction to her left and bumped into Will again. When it happened a third time, Daren snatched the compass impatiently away from her. “Give me that,” he gritted. “I’ll lead the way before a bump appears on your forehead.” He waited for the point to stop. Everyone’s eyes rested on her. Eden buried her chin in her jersey’s collar and went behind the group. When the point stopped, Daren crossed the street. A crowd of workers followed them to the other side.

Eden saw Will, from the corner of her eye, detach from Rachel and went up beside Eden. They walked side by side with their shoulders almost touching. It was hard to keep pretending around me. She could feel an invisible cord tied around her. If it got cut, she’d fall completely into his hands.

Rachel glared at them. Will gave her a warning look. A squeak escaped from her mouth and she went away.

Eden saw a group of teenagers together at Starbucks. She wanted to order a drink and sit back in one of its velvet chairs. Eden sighed, knowing full well she couldn’t do it right now or maybe not ever if she chose Will.

Will followed her gaze. “Do you miss it?” His tone wasn’t implying anything. He was simply curious.

“It was my life. I wish it still is,” was all she could say.

Will walked closer to her, closing the distance between them. She could feel his curious but somewhat pained gaze on her. She wanted to reach out and hold his hand, hoping that it’d wipe the expression on his face. She hated that pained look on him. It didn’t match him. It didn’t suit him.

Daren stopped and the point turned again. Eden clenched her fist beside her and forced herself not to hold Will. They waited for a couple of minutes before it stopped and they continued on.

“In the morning, I went to school,” she started imagining my previous days. “I meet Alex at the front gate and we walk there together. We talked, ate, studied, and pulled pranks on people but we never get caught. In some occasions, I’d decide to skip class and spend it on the rooftop with him.” She chuckled. “When I got home, Daren or Max met me at the front door. When Daren met me, he was sweaty or covered with wires. When he was painting or taking care of his car or talking to some friend who he didn’t want me to meet, Max met me and tackled me to the ground when he does. Amelia spent her leisure time, fencing. I couldn’t quite understand then why she spent her time fencing or why she wasn’t in college like she was supposed to be. She’s always sweaty when she went to my room. Some days, when she went out,—which must’ve been the Sanctuary—she brought Daren with along. I wasn’t allowed to know where they were going or why. But when they don’t go out, we eat dinner and we talk about our day. Amelia explodes when me and my brother eat as if there’s no tomorrow. Before I go to bed, I read a book, or listen to music, or play with Max, or text Alex, or write stuff.” Eden flushed, realizing what she had just said. “I'm sorry. I’ve said too much.”