Chapter 23: Lost Source (Part 2)

The bell chimed as soon as they stepped in the door. The nearest restaurant they found was more of a grill/bar than a restaurant. The whole structure was built in wood with poker tables lining at every corner. The place was rumoured to have been restricted from bringing out alcohol because it was supposed to be a family restaurant. Eden caught a few drinks here and there among the customers.

Will scrutinized his surroundings. His forehead creased. Eden tried hard not to laugh at his expression. She recalled seeing him during her first day with the same expression. Like everything was foreign to him. Like everything wasn’t the way it was supposed to be.

A few heads turned their way. Most of them girls. The enchantment must’ve worn off, thought Eden.  The girls started whispering, murmuring, and giggling as they passed them. Will hardly paid any attention to them. Eden’s chest tightened as she glanced around the room. Everyone’s attention was on them again. Why did Will have to be so eye-catching? Eden guided Will to an empty table for two and sat across from him. She raised the menu, trying hard to ignore the girls who switched places next to them. Their tables were only divided by a railing. They were only a few inches apart from each other.

Will scanned through the different food they were serving. He rubbed his temple as he did. Eden fidgeted in her seat. She lowered the menu and asked, “What’re you having?” Will glanced up from his menu. He took a deep tired breath and replied, “I’ll have what you’re having.” He dropped the menu down.

Eden waved a hand over to a waiter, dropping her menu on the table. The waiter—or waitress, rather with a very short haircut—immediately came over to them. The waitress gawked at Will as she went nearer the table. She fixed her collar when she stopped and brought out a notepad and a pen from her apron pocket. “So what will it be?” She asked. Will looked up when the waitress side-stepped nearer to Will. Eden clenched her fist and smiled. “Two fish ‘n chips and two strawberry smoothies, please?”

The waitress wrote down the order and bowed before leaving. The minute she turned her eyes back to Will, he was already conversing with the girls beside them. “So, are you from around town?”

The voice struck Eden. She knew who owned it. Why didn’t she notice her a while ago? Eden glanced at the strawberry blonde, Miranda Famil. Her grey blue eyes were sparkling brightly at Will.

Eden stood up abruptly from her seat. “Hi, Miranda,” she greeted and smiled viciously at the cheerleader.

Miranda’s eyes widened when she turned to Eden. “Well, if it isn’t the Mayor Nerdiness,” she greeted with the same vicious smile. “I didn’t know you were coming back to town at all.” She sighed. “And I thought I’ll have Alex to myself.”

Eden pointed a finger at her. “You don’t own him,” she gritted.

Miranda stood up, lifting a blonde brow at her. “And you don’t either,” she bit back. She cocked her head to the side and smiled flirtatiously at Will. “Who’s your friend, Mayor Nerdiness?”

“Fuck off, Miranda. You’re going out with Peter.”

“Not anymore, she’s not,” replied Miranda’s Hispanic best friend, Kaye. Miranda and Kaye giggled, gave each other a light high five and flipped their hair back. Eden rolled her eyes. If Alex were with her, they’d mimic the witches—what they call Miranda’s group of friends—and laugh their butts off as Miranda turned away and wiggled her small waist. Too bad he isn’t here, thought Eden.

“Whatever, Miranda. I’m not in the mood to deal with your bitchiness at the moment.” Eden snapped her fingers in front of Will. He averted his gaze from Miranda and asked, “Do you need something?”