Chapter 9: Civil Formalities (Part 1)

Eden felt very flightless and stiff. The pressure went inside her body as she fell down as if demanding it was needed. She thought her face was going to peel off as she fell from an abyss. Now she knew what it felt like to be the dust sucked into the vacuum. Helpless and unready.

Just as she was getting used to the fall, her body hit smack right on the ground. She groaned in pain and writhed until Will fell down gracelessly on her. Eden cried out. She couldn’t move away from him.

It was a beautiful place, filled with juniper, oak, fiddlewood, plum and hickory trees. She smelled traces of lilies, daisies, daffodils and violets from around. Medieval buildings rose on higher ground far away from them.  It was peaceful in the woods. Eden thought it would be nice to stroll along in it during spring. Was it always this beautiful and peaceful? Were the sounds of nature this quiet and all you could hear was the trickle of water?

Eden’s first reaction when she arrived in the forest was that her back hurt achingly. Will wasn’t particularly heavy but he wasn’t light either. “Get off me, you big oaf,” she grunted. He winced a little when he lazily rolled off her. She continued writhing in the grass, removing the pain of Will’s weight on her.

“You idiot!” Will hissed. “What were you thinking going into that portal?”

Eden stretched her limbs carefully, checking for a possible sprain. “Portal?”

No, the entry—what else?!” He took a deep breath and sighed. “I was serious about not opening doors around the Sanctuary. The door you went in was a portal. We’re in the Elven Realm.” He got up and stomped his feet along the grass as he complained.

Eden stood up from the ground, wiping the grass and dirt off her pants. “How was I supposed to know that I was going to be transported to the ‘Elven Realm’?” She asked sarcastically.

“Don’t use that tone on me, princess. I'm not in the mood. You were eavesdropping on a private moment,” He muttered. He was on the brink of releasing his total rage.

Eden didn’t care.

“Well, sorry!” She continued with the same sarcasm, “I'm sorry for being such a pain in the ass for you but really, I mean REALLY, I somehow ‘intended’ to eavesdrop on your ‘private moment’ when I happened to pass by the both of you.”

He pointed his forefinger at her. Eden raised her eyebrows and gave him an innocent look. “Don’t test me, Paris.” He gritted his teeth.

“Already am,” she answered back.

A twig snapped from within the bushes. Eden pressed the bracelet’s gem and it turned into Decision. “Decimus Arcus,” she whispered and it turned into a bow. Eden felt superior to Will for having her weapon near to her. She was caught by surprise when a sword slowly appeared from his hand when he called, “Fortitudo.” His mouth quirked up sideways at the sight of her face.

A young man stepped in from the bushes. The first sight Eden saw of him was his long-blonde hair. His cheekbones were angular and defined; his eyes were perfectly shaped and luminous green. Comparing him from Will, he was a kind prince rather than a dark-one like Will was. He wore medieval clothes which reminded Eden of Lord of the Rings. He had a green cloak over his shoulders to compliment his eyes. In his hands were an oaked bow and an arrow. And it was directed at them.

Eden stared at the young man before them for a long time. He was attractive and very alluring but there was something in his presence that indicated he wasn’t ordinary. Though, Eden wasn’t sure she knew what ordinary meant anymore.

Will punched her on the cheek. Eden jerked back, cupping her cheek in her hand. She gritted her teeth and punched him back. “What the hell was that for, asshole?!”