Chapter 5: The Inevitable Fate (Part 3)

“Where are you taking me now? Class?” Eden asked Will in impatience. They went to Will’s room for him to change into from his church clothes to his day clothes. They travelled to find her sister and give her the weapon. Eden received a suspicious stare from Amelia, who, like the rest, had changed from her church clothes. She had asked Amelia to put in her room.

“Please, Amy—”

“Why don’t you put it in your room yourself?” Amelia asked. “I could show you the way—”

Will was the one who answered her. “You’d drop by her room on your way to your class whereas we’re going to the opposite direction. If we did, it may become a nuisance if we had to run from one side of the building and to the other and arrive late for class.”

Will received a scowl from Amelia. He smirked at her and left without another word with Eden behind.

Will was still toying with the dagger he found at the weapon’s room. “That temper of yours, princess. Yes. Obviously class. You wouldn’t want to get reprimanded on your first day, do you?”

“Who says I'm going to study here? I enrolled at Princeton High so I'm not planning to attend any of the classes.” She pushed her hair back. If she was going to be transferred this easily, she would've preferred to be transferred back to L.A. There must be a Sanctuary there, surely. “I don’t get why this place has classrooms. Don’t you guys just train and kill stuff?”

“A Sanctuary is a demiangel's refuge when they start having the Scent. They can't go outside of it because if they do, most likely, they'd get attacked. So basically, they have to live their teenage life in the Sanctuary. Thus the classrooms. And for your information, we train to survive not to kill. It’s those uptight Nephilim’s job to kill Shadows and Chaosers gone out of hand.” Will shot her a glare. “May I remind you that you’re not allowed to go out into the human world until you become my Consor? And another thing—” He quickly added, “You have to follow the rules and regulations in the Sanctuary. The Council isn’t as merciful as you think they are.”

“I already know they’re not merciful. All of you have made that very clear.” She paused, realizing there was a flaw to Will’s statement. “If we’re not allowed to leave without a Consor—” She crossed her arms over her chest and blocked him from his way. “—then how’d you manage to get out of the Sanctuary yesterday?”

Eden caught the startle in his eyes. His face changed from irritated to horrified.  Got you, she thought loftily.

Will masked his expression and smiled coldly. He tried to show as if he hadn’t been affected but it wouldn’t work on Eden. She could read a person’s actions like a book if she concentrated on them hard enough. She could tell when someone was lying to her or not.

“The Council ordered a search party for missing demiangels,” he explained blankly. “Riley was ill yesterday so Caleb had to find a temporary companion. And he chose me.”

Eden raised an eyebrow as if saying, I don’t believe you. But she let it slide. It was reasonable enough, she guessed.

On the way to class, they met Mrs Harris in one of the corridors. She handed Eden her class schedule. She read the schedule after Mrs Harris had disappeared. She looked at the subjects oddly. “Ecania, Latin,” she murmured to herself. They were two different subjects combined in a single discussion. “Botany, Spell Casting, Healing, Training, Physics?!—what the hell is this?” She demanded Will for some answers.

Will snatched the paper away from her hand. He gave it a view over and gave it back to her. “May I remind you again,” he said impatiently, “that you’re not in your school anymore. We have a different curriculum.”