Chapter 20: What Now?

"When all things are lost and the ending had been so close to you, what do you do with the confused heart that's left?"

Riley and Faye were the first ones to arrive in her room. They found Eden by her windowsill, staring out into the horizon. “Are you ok, Eden?” Faye asked.

Eden managed to give her a fake smile. “Yeah. I'm super.”

“I'm so sorry of what happened to Alex. Don’t blame yourself for what happened,” concerned Riley. Riley was asking for the impossible. Alex had been kidnapped once and it happened again. It was her fault. Entirely her fault. She could’ve helped him if it wasn’t for her idiocy. If she hadn’t used her bow. If she wasn’t so weak, this wouldn’t have happened.

“I know it wasn’t,” she lied.

“Eden—”

“Just go,” Eden cried. She didn’t want to talk about it. She didn’t want someone to fawn over her. She didn’t want to look weak in front of them. “If you’re not here for the meeting then I suggest you leave.” She was used to pushing people away. She didn’t need anyone before so why would she now?

Without anything else to say, they left the room without another word. Victor, Jesse, Mason and her siblings came in after them. Will was the last to arrive. He had a cold smile on his face. It was like he was back to normal. Like nothing happened. “Hey, E,” her siblings greeted with a smile. Eden smiled mockingly at them and turned away. There’s no point in trying to cheer me up, she thought.

“Why don’t you tell us what exactly happened first before we start planning?” Amelia requested. The way she asked it—it was as if she couldn’t believe a single word Will said. So, it was obvious we were lying, then, she thought. Most of Will’s story was true. Eden filled them in on what really happened, hoping none of them would rat them out to the High Council.

All of them were listening attentively except for Will, who was busy admiring the scenery outside. Part of her wanted to ask Will who their master was. But part of her didn’t too. When Eden finished, he regarded her coldly. “God. It’s like he’s this damsel in distress and you’re his knight in shining armour,” he commented. “I bet he’s crying right now—screaming your name.”

“Please. I'm not in the mood for humour,” she murmured.

His smile got wider. “Well, I am. In fact, I was planning to watch that TV show—what was its name again? I know it went between the lines of prank and gags—and I'm missing it because of your friend.”

Daren stood up. “Okay. That’s it. I’ve had it with you, Sage. I know you’re my sister’s Consor and all but that doesn’t change the fact that you’re a complete dick and I know how to kill you without hurting her,” he gritted as his fists clenched and unclenched at his side.

Eden tried to glare at Will but she couldn’t. She simply looked away from him and inquired, “Why do you think the Council told me to lead this operation?”

“They think you’d be useful,” answered Mason. “You can sense when Alex is in danger.”

“So does this mean we’re going home?”

“Don’t worry, we’re not staying,” exclaimed Will.

“I know that,” she muttered. “Can you go be evil somewhere else? The last thing I need is your sarcastic comebacks.”

He rolled his eyes. God, how can I say that after all that’s happened between us? Eden wondered.

Victor spoke up. “The Council wants this matter settled and for that they need to find out who’s behind this. I’ve tried to track him down—as accurate as I could—with some help and he’s not in New York.” He paused. “He’s back in L.A.”