Chapter 4: The Need to Escape (Part 2)

They made their way out of the chapel after the mass. Eden had been studiously trailing behind her siblings. She felt a presence behind her and it wasn’t too hard to guess who it was.

“I see you’ve deliberately disobeyed every advice I’ve given you. Well done, princess, well done,” commented Will loftily. “I suppose your sister should’ve warned me about your disobedience.”

Eden scowled at him. “If a friend of my sister’s constantly going to pop up everywhere I go, I’m sane enough to know when to balk away from a stalker,” she snapped.

“Friend of your sister’s?” Will questioned. “What made you think I was a friend of hers?”

Eden raised an eyebrow. “Aren’t you?”

Mason went up beside her and answered for Will. “Hardly. Amelia hates her and so does your brother.” She groaned. “Well, I don’t have to explain why, seeing as you already know.” Amelia called for Mason and she went back to chatting with her friend.

Eden narrowed her eyes. “If my sister hates you then why’d she send you to get me?” She questioned sceptically.

Will opened his mouth to answer but someone had pulled him back. The temperature suddenly dropped. Eden gasped, thinking Will had fallen or tripped back. A black-haired, black-eyed girl encircled her arm around Will’s.

“Willie,” she cooed. “You haven’t introduced me to your friend yet.”

Will pulled away his arm back in irritation. He straightened his tie and grimaced. “I don’t think it’s important whether or not you know all of my friends, Rachel.” He dragged Eden sideways, pulling away from the crowd. “Now, if you’ll excuse us.”

“Wait, Will—”

Eden couldn’t hear her after that. They had separated from the group and joined another’s. She didn’t know anyone in her new one and neither did Will seem to either.

“Can’t I even talk to you in peace?” He said more to himself than to her.

Eden peered through the crowd, searching for the black-haired girl Will had called Rachel. “Who is she?” She leered at him. “Was she your girlfriend? She’s very pretty.”

He straightened his tie. Eden caught the faintest blush on his cheeks. “She’s not my girlfriend,” he argued. “That was Rachel Fairchild, the reason why the temperature keeps dropping.”

She clasped her hands together. “So that’s why the temperature suddenly went down.” Her leer grew wider. “I don’t know, Will. Maybe you should go back to her.” Her voice went lower an octave, “By the way she’s glaring at us right now, I could sense she’s fairly jealous.”

“That was what I was kind of hoping.” Will ran a hand through his hair. “If she was, maybe she’d finally leave me alone.”

Eden didn’t know how to take his confession. She realized his hand was still holding her wrist and so did Will. She pulled it away and squeezed her way to the crowd. Will followed behind her, squeezing through the same people.

“Where are you going, princess?”

She clenched her teeth. “I don’t have time to talk to you,” she intoned. “I don’t want to talk to you.”

“Fine by me, princess,” he answered back. “I didn’t say you had to want to talk to me. I said that I, not you, needed to talk to you. Now about the—”

She snickered. “And to think you even told me that if I knew what was good for me, I’d avoid you, and fact is Willie, I do know what’s good for me.”