At Water's Edge - Chapter 13

Chapter 13

The next morning Nina takes time to get herself ready smiling to herself thinking of the mess she left poor Steven in.

‘He totally deserved it but I’m sure that the dowager has let up since then.’

 Satisfied with what she sees in the mirror Nina makes her way down the stairs, as she does she hears the Dowager whining “Steven why the mystery?”

 Exasperated Steven answers “Mother if you persist I will not take anyone at all and I shall be the only bachelor not in attendance.  When Auntie asks why I shall inform her that is was all due to your incessant pestering.”

 The Dowager huffs and puffs and eventually backs down when she sees Nina join them. 

 Making a beeline for Nina she inquires “How did you sleep my dear?”

 Nina laughs at Stevens annoyance “Very well your Grace, so kind of you to inquire.”

 Steven makes his way to Nina offering her his hand and escorting her away from his mother. 

 “A fine mess you left me in last night” he whispers and all Nina can do is nod in agreement.

 “Was it really necessary?”He continues.

 Nina quaffs “Was it really necessary for you to grab for me so intimately when we were finally in the sight of the manor, more over Nicki?”

 “Oh…” he smiles rubbing his neck while contemplating his response “No I wager it was not.  Though in my defense I was grabbing for you all night it is just that you so deftly escaped me every time.”

 “Ahhh… yes well perhaps you should alter your hunting strategies as they are obviously lacking” she says in all seriousness but with a twinkle in her eye.

 As the family begins to sit down to break their fast the Dowager insists on sitting next to Nicolette.  Leaning over she whispers “My dear who is this girl?”

 Looking up she captures Stevens gaze, “Curiosity killed the cat your Grace” Nina laughs “Patience is a virtue, all will be revealed in due time.”

 Steven eats with an urgency that is making even the children laugh.  He stops to take a breath when he catches Nina’s inquisitive eye. 

 “Are you in a hurry?” asks Nina.

 “I had hoped to take you for a short ride before we had our appointed meeting.”

 “Oh… yes I think that I would like that very much perhaps we can go tomorrow or at a later date I still have some things to finalize before the ball.   Nicki had taken me some time ago but I would like to see more of the country side.  Perhaps the beaches below the cliffs, I do miss the ocean terribly.”

 “Very well shall we depart?”

 Steven comes around and pulls out her chair; taking her hand he places it upon his and whispers in her ear “As long as I am in your company I shall agree to anything my lady.”

Nina blushes at his comment but tries to compose herself as she nods towards the Dowager, the Duke and Duchess and lastly she sets her eyes upon Nicki.  Pulling out of Stevens grasp and places a chaste kiss upon Nicki’s cheek whispering “please smile for me.”