At Water's Edge - Chapter 8

Hello everyone, so finally its here, I feel really guilty should have posted parts of this a long time ago.  I just wanted to give you a full chapter so i held off.  If you were wondering this is not even half of the chapter, there is soooo... much good stuff to come.  For months now i have been trying to write the last 2 pages, but of course those 2 pages ballooned to 10, so finishing it has not been as easy as i had originally imagined, in any case here it is PART I of Chapter 8.  I am editing the rest of it and I hope to have it up tomorrow.

Please vote and comment, it really helps motivate and inspire me to finish this monster. 

Sweet Dreams!!!

JoJo :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 8

D,

Yes I understand now, I can’t be around him like that.  No matter what he says we cannot have a platonic relationship.  If I am to spend more time in his presence, I will have to show interest in another in order to dissuade him, but knowing my luck it will just make him jealous and more persistent.

Tomorrow I will call on Ephraim to begin our research.  I’m sure it will be quite interesting, explaining this mess to yet another individual.  I just hope he is open minded enough to realize the implications of this groundbreaking venture.  The longer I stay here the more intertwined our lives become and the aggravation of the separation will be as bad for them as it is for me, and I don’t want that.  They don’t deserve it… well, truth be told neither do I.

Waking she is dressed and ready in record time and she descends the stairs to join the family for breakfast.

No one is inquiring of the prior days outing as it is obvious that Nicki is not in the best of spirits.  For the fear that anything said will aggravate the already testy situation, all quietly eat their meal.

Nina notices Declyn getting ready to speak with a mischievous smile on his face.  She catches Vanessa’s eye and nods toward Declyn, getting the hint Vanessa interjects before her husband makes an unwitting comment.

“Nina what are your plans for today?   I hope you will begin teaching the children again?" she says but her eyes convey a completely different message to which Nina concedes to. 

‘Yes we will speak of last night right after breakfast’ she thinks to herself.

Declyn second attempt to torture the withdrawn Nicki is stopped by his wife's icy glare and the devious smirk is whipped off of his face. 

Nicki is still not participating in the light conversation, which is creating quite an uncomfortable atmosphere for all.  All but the children who are oblivious to the obvious tension. 

"Nicki, will you take me for a ride today, you haven't played with us since you got here." Josephine pouts "Please" she pleads not waiting for him to have a chance to reject her.

Nicki finally looks up from his plate, slightly confused and glassy eyed "I... yes of course, forgive me my dear.   I will be at your service for the remainder of my stay” he facetiously waves his hand in a mock bow “however brief it might be". 

A movement out if the corner of his eye catches his attention, turning his head in its general direction he glances at Nina and for a split second manages to catch her eye, as he does he quickly looks back down to his plate. 

He smiles and miraculously his manner changes.

Looking over to Nina again "I hope the trip yesterday wasn’t too tiring for you.  You were in such a rush to get to your rooms" he says with a slight smile on his lips.