At Water's Edge -Chapter 5

Chapter 5

D,

As each day passes by I am more and more intrigued by these people and their lifestyle. It is beautiful how care free and simple their lives are. Yes I am aware that it is because they are well off but none the less with not as much to learn there is much more time to enjoy life. All those technological advances which are designed to make our lives "simpler" in the end make everything that much more complicated.

The air here is crisp and clean and everything is visually stunning. Yesterday I went out deep into the wood beyond the meadow and I was shocked at how well preserved it was. Naturally I expected garbage to litter the ground and be strewn in the underbrush, so you can imagine my shock when I saw no such thing. It was an eye opener at what we (in the present) should behave like, unfortunately all that "progress" has caused us to digress in our respect for nature.

The wildlife is rather friendly, they did not fear me as you would think that they would. A gorgeous bird landed by me and I stood still just watching it and it watched me too. At that moment I burst into tears (why I don't know), I frightened it and naturally it flew away. I felt so lonely in that instant, though I am rarely alone I often feel empty and so lost. I put on a front for all, but I feel myself disappearing and it really scares me.

I think that Vanessa senses something is amiss because she keeps me so busy, that I don't have time to wallow in my own sorrow. Which when I think about it is good, but it's moments like this that I fear, when all is still and quiet I have a feeling I can just dissipate, leave as quick as I came.

Yesterday I met a few more members of the family. It was quite nerve wrecking as I did not expect to be meeting them so soon. Tristan is a sweetheart, he is quite tall for his age and at the awkward brink between boyhood and adolescence. I thought he was at least a teenager, when Vanessa told me he is only ten I was shocked. He doesn't have his mothers coloring he's jet black hair has a tint of blue in the sun and his eyes are a steel blue gray which are perfectly off set by his pale complexion. He must take after his father who I have yet to meet.

With him came his grandmother the Dowager Duchess, a very intimidating woman who exudes strength and frailty, what a paradox. Her hair is a silver white and she has the same eyes as Tristan. She is the first person to hear the "story" Vanessa and I concocted and she has accepted me as warmly as everyone else. So I do believe it went well. In any case I need the practice as Vanessa is adamant that I have the ultimate experience while I am here. This apparently entails me being introduced to all of her friends and their closely knit society as a whole. I have no idea what that involves but apparently it means dressing to the nine's and hob knobbing with the crème de la crème of London society. All I can say is Lord give me patience and strength to get through it with dignity.

Waking Nicky is determined to get an early start in her research 'unfortunately yesterday was a bust' she thinks to herself. 'Here we are again as a new day unfolds before me and I am determined to get to work. I know much needs to be done, I am anxious and nervous at what I will find when I am facing that which I nothing about.'

"I need to do this without so many distractions." She says as her stomach growls "I guess I will have to make a stop in the kitchens and fetch myself some breakfast. I hope Olivia is there I want someone to know my whereabouts in case I am needed."

She dresses herself in a simple gown, brushes her hair into a low ponytail and descends down the servant's stairs. Olivia is nowhere in sight she decides she cannot wait for her any longer. The longer she stays the greater the chance of someone seeing her and delaying her mission for yet another day.

Sneaking out through the servants' door located in the back of the kitchen Nicky hikes up her skirts and breaks into a swift run; in hopes of quickly putting some distance between herself and the house. Her lungs struggle for air, as her heart pumps erratically she slows and decides to walk the rest of the way. 'It is a shame to run through such a beautiful place' she thinks to herself. Wanting not to get distracted again she is focused on reaching her goal, the cherry tree.