gone

[15 votes, 10 comments for another part]

Warning: mature language and content
third person
word count: 6,700
12:36 pm | you could never be enough for Central City's most beloved hero

The pink of its petals used to be so vibrant. Its stems used to be wide and strong, its green a beautiful contrast against the mahogany of your desk. But now, the petals were curled in brown, fading at the edges. Some had fallen onto the stack of unorganized files beside your laptop, reminding you that something once alive and bright was now dead and gone. It made you frown. It's why you hated flowers now.

You weren't always so unhappy. No, for a long while you were happy. You woke up everyday with a sense of optimism, something to look forward to. What was that? It was Barry Allen, of course.

Barry Allen. That tall, dashing brunette with killer green eyes, the speedster in the crimson suit. Barry Allen, Central City's most treasured hero: Flash. You remembered the first moment you had fallen in love with Barry. It was a stupid moment, but it was yours.

You always believed in what others hadn't believed in. It was your strength and your weakness, and it set you apart from the rest of the world.

A few days after the particle accelerator malfunctioned, you were the only person at S.T.A.R. Labs that still woke up everyday with some kind of hope in your heart. You were the only one keeping everyone on schedule, keeping the labs running. The energy radiating off of you everyday was the only reason some people continued to return.

There was a time when even your loving personality couldn't keep everyone. Soon, the staff made up of you, Dr. Harrison Wells, Dr. Caitlin Snow, and Cisco Ramon. You certainly made a team, brilliant minds and hearts at work. Only now, many of those brilliant hearts were without spirit, and you were determined to bring life back into S.T.A.R. Labs. You saw its potential; it just needed a push.

Barry Allen had been a part of S.T.A.R. Labs for nine months. Given, you only saw him asleep. But nevertheless you saw him, checking his vitals everyday and comforting his family that came to see him. There was one woman in particular that seemed to love Barry deeply; her name was Iris West, and she was so radiating and lovely. She had the most interesting personality; passionate and caring, determined and independent, stubborn and focused.

Every time you watched her speak to Barry in his sleep, you hoped that one day you would have a love like that. Someone that loved you through all the hard times, stood by your side even when you didn't know it, never forgot to tell you how much they loved you even if you couldn't hear them. You wanted to love like that, you dreamed of having a passion such as that.

Barry Allen's first few days after awakening from his coma were the most interesting days of your life. You became accustomed to his bubbling personality and smile, and you always had to calm down the wave of questions he threw at you. He wanted to know so much; if you answered one question, he had five more lined up to ask.

When Barry found his speed, you were the first person he told. He knocked on your apartment door, and you were in your pajamas when you opened it. Your hair was in a bun, you were without your everyday mascara, and your feet were encased warmly in socks. You wanted to protest to Barry for not announcing that he would come see you, but the look on his face had you worried.