Defeated for the first time

Eh, this is just a plain chapter, because I just learned how to play shougi (yeay !) , I wanted to apply it on this chapter.

Chapter 5- Defeated for the first time .

    I woke up and found myself in darkness with some tiny lights that entered through the window but got blocked by the curtain and the lights could barely made its way in here. So it’s morning. I looked around. I feel cold and my head’s heavy.

    Turning to my right, I saw Yukina beside me, sleeping soundly, probably tired from yesterday’s walk. I’ll let her off for not going to school. It’s 8.30pm and surely I was late for school. I don’t even feel like going to school. I wanted to got out of the bed but waited. For nothing.

My heart says

Wait .

So I waited.

    I blinked at the white ceiling, the spinning fan that looked like it will drop on me if it runs faster than the supposed speed. The door opened. I turned my gaze to the door.

    “Oh, you woke up .”

    I frowned. “Akashi, what are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be at school ?” I asked.

    “I expected that you forgot .” he answered in a mocking tone and leaned one side on the door.

    “Forgot what ?”

    “Today’s a public holiday. You don’t have to worry about me for not going to school .” he explained.

    My cheeks flushed red in embarrassment. “Oh ....” I looked down. “Yeah I forgot .”

    “Can you get up? I prepared breakfast ,” he asked. “Or rather, I’d just bring it here .”

    “I think I can—“

    He disappeared out of the door and moments later, he reappeared with a tray of foods and drink. “I made you a porridge and here’s some antibiotics I found in your cabinet and a glass of wat—“

    “YOU OPENED MY CABINET IN THE KITCHEN !?!?” I literally cried and my voice cracked. He didn’t look shocked and instead, he put the tray on my bedside table. “I mean ....”

    “What’s those medicines for ?” he asked.

    I gulped. I was really hoping that he’d not find out about my sickness!

    “My mother left it in case anything happens .” I lied. He nodded.

    “I see .” he commented then handed me the glass. “Drink. Then after eating your breads, eat your medicine. I’m going to change the water for you and then you can take a bath .” he turned around to go but I stopped him.

    “Akashi !” I called. He turned back to me. “Anything else ?” he asked. “No it’s just ....” my voice trailed off. Just what? “Th-thank you, for doing this. Even though we just met for a few days ....”

    He nodded then walked to the bathroom. I took the glass of water, drink it, took the bread and started eating.

/(^o^)\

    After taking a long shower, I felt a bit relieved. Yukina had woke up and now playing with Akashi outside. I watched from the living room. When they had enough fun, they turned to me.

    “Kina, feeling a lot better ?” Akashi asked.

    I smiled. “Less than okay but more than fine .”

    He walked in followed by Yukina. “That’s a good news. Can I have a fight with you ?” he stopped in front of me.

    “What—what do you mean ?” I asked.

    He bent down closer. “I mean, I’m challenging you to fight me in shougi .”

    “Eeeeehhhh ?!?!”

    He smirked. “Come on. One round ,” he turned his head to Yukina. “Yuki, will you bring me your sister’s shougi board ?”

    Yukina nodded obediently and went upstairs to take a shougi board. Moments later, she came back and placed the shougi between us. Akashi helped me sit down at the chair outside on the lawn.

    There’s a blanket wrapped around me even though it’s already reaching afternoon. My hair was messy and I helped Akashi arranged the shougi pieces.

    “I wanna test how far you can go .” he spoke.

    My heart leapt from excitement. I was excited to fight him. Cause it’s been a long time since I use this rusty brain for shougi. As a result of that, I giggled.

    “I can see you are excited .” he said again. After the pieces were arranged in the correct order, he looked at me. “Are you gonna have the Jewel or the King ?” he asked.

    I tilted my head, thinking. “I’ll take the Jewel. Since you’re the one who looked so confident in defeating me, you’ll take the King .”

    Jewel and King is the only different piece in the shougi game. King usually are played by the superior ones, the older or the better ones in the game.

    “Okay then ,” he took the King piece and put in on his row. “Let’s start the game .”

    I moved a pawn forward. He did the same action. It was a calm fight at the beginning.

/(^o^)\

    I cursed under my breath when he promoted his Bishop. He managed to enter my camp. Finding for a perfect opportunity to enter his enemy camp but no, there’s no opening at all.

    “Check .” he spoke. DAMN !

    My brain began to work on the strategy. I moved my Rook. Then the pawn. Promote. Capture. “Check .” I said. He smirked.

    “Ain’t bad .”

    I watched his movement.

    “Check mate .” he smiled.

    I gaped. He leaned against the chair. I gulped. “What day is it today? Monday, 27 October, Autumn season, 11.45am, I hereby announced that I’ve been defeated for the first time .” I said.

    He chuckled. I stared at him. Not because I think he’s rude. Because he’s cute at that moment that I thought my cheeks are reddening so hard I think my head can explode.

    “What? Stating the date, time and season of my defeat ain’t funny Akashi !” I scold him. He smiled.

    “And for the first time, I spent one hour and a half competing with someone .” he said.

    “Seriously? How smart can you be ?” I asked.

    “Anyhow you want .” he answered.

    “Nerd head !” I stuck out my tongue at him.

    “Do that again and I’ll cut your tongue .” he said. I giggled and stood.

    “I’ll cook something for lunch .” I said.

    “Can’t you at least realise that you’re sick and do you think a healthy person would just let a sick person do the cooking when he/she is capable of it ?” Akashi spoke.

    I froze. “But I’m hungry .”

    He sighed. “Just tell me you’re hungry and I’ll cook the best dish for you .”

    “Can I have miso soup ?”

    “Don’t order me around .”

    “But you said—“

    “I said, I’ll cook. Meaning I’m the one who decides what to cook .”

    “Hey that ain’t fair !!”

    He ignored me and went to Yukina. “Yukina what do you wanna eat ?” he asked. I pouted.