Boss Level 33: Break His Heart

VIOLET

Five minutes earlier

"You're going to break his heart," Dakota Johnson said. "You'll say exactly what I tell you to, and then you'll drive home."

"No," I said, shocked. "No, I won't."

Why would I do that?

"Yes. You will. Or I'll report Axel for breaking and entering."

I stiffened. "What?"

"A few weeks ago, the school was broken into," she said calmly. "I have video footage showing Axel was there. What do you think would happen if that video was discovered?"

I turned to stone.

An image of Axel flashed into my thoughts, his clothing drenched, his hair dishevelled. He lost his hat when we were running.

What was the list I'd made the night we'd snuck into the school swimming pool?

Parents called—expulsion—being arrested—

And for Axel...his father would send him away.

I remembered his face when he'd told me about it. The expression in his eyes—

Dakota stepped towards me, cocking her head. "You love him, don't you?"

I couldn't speak.

"Then you're going to do exactly what I say, or you'll be to blame for ruining his future. Here's what you're going to say—"

*

"No more games," Axel said. "I love you Violet. I love everything about you. I love how you can't eat toppings with your ice cream, I love how you chew on your pen when you study. I love how dedicated you are, and how loyal, and how compassionate."

His fingers framed my face and my eyes started to burn.

"And I know I'm nowhere near good enough for you," he whispered, his eyes boring into mine. "But I don't want to play games anymore. I don't want to pretend I'm not in love with you whenever we're together. I'm not perfect—but I'll work my a** off to be someone you could love."

Everything about Axel was vulnerable. His face was so open, his eyes searching. There was no false amusement. No smirks, no grins.

No mask.

I was going to cry.

I'm so sorry.

"I'm sorry, Axel," I rasped.

His brows furrowed, concerned. "What is it—is something wrong?"

I couldn't stop the tear that slid down my cheek.

"I don't love you," I said.

Axel turned to stone.

Dakota: This is what you'll say: I don't love you—

"I thought maybe I could," I whispered, unable to talk any louder.

Dakota: But we're so different—

"But we're so different," I croaked. "You don't care about anything. You shun responsibility, and you only think about yourself."

You're one of the kindest people I've ever met. I love how much you care about those close to you. I know that you sacrifice things you want for them. That you're always saving everyone else.

"I could never love someone like you."

You think you're not good enough, because you don't see how amazing you are. You don't see yourself the way I do. And I wish you did, because you'd never call yourself a screw-up again.

"And I can't pretend I could."

His hands fell from my face.

Perhaps the worst thing—even worse than saying all the lies Dakota had ordered me to say—the worst thing was that Axel couldn't manage to put on a mask.

So I saw every ounce of pain on his features.

The final words were lodged in my throat. I couldn't say them. I didn't want to.

But I knew Dakota was standing outside, waiting.

So I forced them out. "You're a bad person Axel. You're bad for me."

His face shut down.

I turned, dragging in a breath. "I have to go."

Before he could respond, I'd sprinted out of the room.

I could barely look at Dakota as I hurried out of the hallway.

I didn't make it to my car before I started sobbing.