Game Start 6: Lay Out Your Game Plan

AXEL

What the hell was I thinking?

And saying 'Then let the games begin.'  Who even says that?

I groaned. I was so cringeworthy.

The same thoughts had been rolling through my mind since I'd slipped back into this classroom. The revenge line had probably been a result of severe sleep deprivation, but why had I kept it going?

I'd told Violet to meet me here after school. I already regretted it. I wasn't even sure she'd show up.

In the few hours since I'd met her in this room, I'd done my research. Violet Madison was as pure as they came. Perfect GPA. Aced all her classes. Hundred percent in almost every test. Hundred percent attendance. No tardies. Did charity work regularly. Had clean social media accounts. Basically never did anything wrong. She was pretty much the pinnacle of perfection.

The exact opposite of me.

So, what the hell was I doing?

I'd never corrupted a good girl before.

My muscles relaxed. That was it. Wasn't that what anti-heroes were supposed to do? Corrupt beautiful damsels?

The door creaked open and Violet Madison stepped hesitantly inside. As her massive brown eyes shifted to me, I wondered if I was lying to myself.

"Hi," she said, her voice soft.

I fixed my blank expression, lifting my lips into my typical lazy smirk. "Sit." I gestured to one of the chairs.

She shuffled forward, sitting down hesitantly, then staring up at me.

Gosh, she was cute.

I maintained my amused demeanour, settling on the chair opposite hers.

The sunlight glimmered over her skin and her hair. She'd tied up the boisterous curls. I kind of wished she hadn't—they were fun to play with.

Her eyes were sad.

Which made me kind of sad.

I raised my brows when she inhaled. Then she said, "How are we going to get revenge?"

Yeah, get with the program Axel.

I leaned forward, resting my chin on my palm. Close enough that she could smell my cologne.

No reaction. It was like she wasn't attracted to me at all.

She probably has better taste.

"We need a game plan," I said. "What's your end game? Do you want a new boyfriend?"

I'd be happy to volunteer.

I pushed the thought away.

Her eyes flickered back to the table, her features crumpling slightly. "I love him," she rasped.

I stilled. Of course she loves him. It was obvious on her face. I smothered a sigh. I leaned back, folding my arms over my chest, my expression settling on indifference.

"Then we need to do something to make him regret cheating. To make him want you back," I said.

The words tasted kind of horrible. I didn't like saying it, which confused me. I shouldn't care.

Her eyes lifted to mine. I couldn't get over how they looked. They were like those puppy dog eyes you see in animated movies, all adorable and pleading.

"How?" she asked, her eyes fixed on me.

Finally.

I leaned forward, my smirk growing. "Step one is to break up with him."