Level 23: Learn Self-Defence

Self-defence video above, please watch :)

(The chapter will make more sense, and it's good for you ;))

VIOLET

Axel and I went to Walter's to get ice cream. Then he drove me home. Worry was still kneading my stomach an hour later.

He'd been too quiet. Axel was never quiet. He hadn't even switched on the music in the car.

I wanted to call him, to make sure he was okay, but I wasn't sure if he would want me to.

There was something about Axel that was distancing.

Despite his charisma, despite how easy he was to talk to, there was a sense around him...that he was separate. That he was apart. Everything he did was behind a mask.

I felt as if I'd seen past the mask a few times. But honestly? I didn't know him. Not really.

I trusted him. But I didn't think he trusted me.

I'd been lying in bed for fifteen minutes when I decided I couldn't hold myself back any longer.

I slid my phone off the nightstand. I'd pulled up Axel's number, when my phone vibrated.

AXEL: Can you come over tomorrow?

I blinked, surprised, then I was typing back, sending off a message before he could change his mind.

Of course. When?

AXEL: Ten. Wear sports clothes.

Coolios. See you then.

A moment later,

AXEL: Night, Curls.

I exhaled, lowering the phone. He'd called me Curls, that had to be a good sign, right? When he'd gotten upset before, he'd called me Violet—so Curls must mean he was in a better mood.

I flopped back on the bed. I hoped he was.

I remembered his face after the party—so distraught.

I hoped I'd never have to see him look like that ever again.

*

I pulled up outside Axel's house ten minutes early. When I stepped out, he was waiting in the doorway.

He grinned. "Mornin' curls."

I smiled. "Good morning."

I studied him as I walked towards the apartment. Everything about his demeanour was languid, relaxed.

But I could have sworn there were shadows beneath his eyes.

He held the door open for me.

"Thank you," I murmured.

Axel whistled as he led me through the living area, and past the adjacent kitchen. We turned a corner, and my eyes widened. Double glass doors were ahead. And beyond was a gym.

He had a gym in his apartment.

I didn't think I was ever going to get used to the houses in Reynard.

"Am I exercising?" I asked as we stepped inside.

It wasn't that surprising. I was a little chunkier than the average Reynardian. Still, it brought a twinge of pain to my chest.

"No. Your body's perfect."

My eyes flashed to Axel.

He continued as if he hadn't said anything. "I'm going to teach you self-defence." He strode towards a set of exercise mats at the centre of the gym.