Backstory Time (Chapter 10)

"Hey Chandra, I've been wondering something." said Christian the next morning.

"What is it, buddy?" I said as I rolled up my sleeping bag.

"Why did you suddenly let Selene into out group? I mean I know she is your long lost friend and everything, but don't you wonder what she has been up to until recently? Can we trust her?"

"Well, I know she will tell us eventually, but do you remember how we became friends with Selene?"

"Well, no. I was a baby then that I don't remember much. Could you and Selene tell me?"

I looked at Selene and she looked right back at me and we nodded in agreement.

"Sure buddy. We'll tell you everything we can remember." I told him and that's when the memories came back almost like the floodgates had opened up.

Ten Years Ago

I was working at a berry orchard while my dad was at an excavation with Professor Rowan and I had brought my baby brother with me because my mom was at work at an orphanage in another town.

"Christian, I know you're hungry, but you can't eat all of the berries I pick. I just fed you an hour ago so stop eating the berries!!!!" I said is I told my brother for the hundredth time.

He kept saying the same thing over and over again as he looked at the woods that were not far from us.

"He didn't eat all the berries. Not by himself. He was throwing them into the woods to help the hurt Pokémon." said Sunshine, my trusty talking Chatot. "There is a girl in the bushes and it looks like her Pokémon are hurt badly."

"Well, why didn't you tell me that about ninety times ago?"

"Because he was eating them ninety times ago! It was about ten times ago he started to throw the berries. I'm surprised you didn't notice even though you could see him in the corner of your eye."

"Sorry buddy. Let's go see if this mystery girl needs help. I'm not a trainer yet but Sunshine could help us if we get into a pickle. Right Sunshine?"

"Right, Chandra!"

I walked over to the bushes, with Sunshine flying over my head and my brother walking (more like tottering) next to me. I pulled down the bushes and saw a girl with cobalt blue hair and deep dark blue eyes. All she was wearing was a tattered blue and black shirt with torn pants, as well as worn sandals. She was with a sick Absol and shiny Houndour. I have never seen a shiny Pokémon. From what I could tell, they were poisoned and weak from not eating a lot, and obviously, don't trust strangers judging from the Absol's growl.

I gathered my courage to go and introduce myself. I asked Sunshine if she could find some other Pokémon that would protect us if things got hairy. She came back with an Onix who I've known for a long time.

"Um, hi. I'm Chandra and this is my baby brother Christian. I was wondering, why are you here taking the berries my brother throwing to you instead of going to the Pokémon Center?" I said to the mystery girl.

"Oh, I'm Selene. And I can't Pokémon Center because nurse Joy won't let me in because of my young age, my scruffy looks, and her fear that I might steal the Pokémon there. Absol and Houndour are weak from not eating and the poison that some bug Pokémon sprayed on them. Can you help us?" said the girl.

"Of course. What future trainer would I be if I refuse to help another trainer in need? I know just the berries your Pokémon need. Be right back. Don't go anywhere."

"Like I have a choice?"

I ran through the orchard, picking enough oran, pecha, sitrus, leppa, and other status healing berries as well as grabbing one of my spare berry pots and ran to Selene, hoping that she was still there.