11 | apricity

ah · pri · city

the warmth of sun in winter

MY LEGS ACHED, BONES CRYING OUT as I walked round the house. My eyes felt heavy and sore but I'd no time for sleep. Not even for a little rest. Murmurs surrounded me – some familiar but I couldn't pin them. All my concentration was zapped while I was focusing on staying awake.

"Kathryn?" The voice pulled me out of the zone. Looking up, I plastered a small fake smile on my lips.

"Kitty," I corrected; for the tenth time. If there was anyone who represented the features if Eireland, it was Alpha Lochlan. Fiery red hair with a large beard matched deep amber eyes. There was nothing soft about his body; any skin exposed showed scarred muscles. Even his expression was stern – she'd never seen the rough lines soften; not even for his son.

"I do apologise, Kitty," he emphasised my name, as if this was the first time he was really hearing what I had said, "Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to entertain us. It's a shame your father's work is never-ending."

I said nothing, but kept the smile plastered on my face. Of course, I hadn't been in charge of keeping Alpha Lochlan company. That was Nathan's job – his first lone assignment set by Dad. Nathan had done a grand job, especially since Lochlan had been a little put-off at first. Unfortunately, though, I'd been forced to entertain Lochaln's son, Cillian.

"Will you be joining us for my celebratory party?" I asked, trying to keep the conversation afloat. I couldn't bear the thought of talking to Cillian any longer. The boy was like a broken record.

"Most likely. We'll be visiting more allies in the meantime, just to make sure everything is up to scratch. Can't let your Dad's empire crash; not when Nathaniel is on the verge of taking over," Lochlan was the first alpha to join my father. They'd known each other since they were young adolescents, possibly when they had been initiated into alphas, "It's not for another few weeks is it?"

"Two weeks," my lips hurt, but my smile couldn't falter. We were entertaining guests and needed to be appear pleasant. Just as I was about to ask him about his home life, about his lands, the doors crashed open.

"Lochlan! Cillian! How brilliant to see you both," the smile on my father's face was not fake in the slightest. It felt like a knife was digging in, twisting, into my heart. He'd never smiled at me like he smiled at Lochlan or Cillian – no matter how much I accomplished. No matter how well I did. Every time I gained an achievement and told him, my father would tell me that there was no celebration needed; I did exactly what was expected of me, "I hope Kathryn has been treating you well."