02 | solivagant

sol · ih · vah · gent

wandering alone

THE WOODEN, RICKETY BRIDGE WAS IN my sight. Glee filled every inch of me. I'd finally made it! Touching the wood, a small smile fell on my lips. I was actually here – I'd made it. Seeing the bright green grass on the other side, I felt temptation taint my body. Looking around, I saw no-one. No epilektoi were around the area, and I hadn't seen any on my run. Lifting my nose to the air, the scent that lingered was old; stale. It didn't surprise me – since we had never had an attack, the borders weren't patrolled as heavily.

That wasn't to say the epilektoi didn't sniff around every so often.

Knowing that it was likely my one and only chance to see what lay beyond the pack's borders, I took a step onto the bridge. My heart thundered in my chest – I knew it was wrong. If Dad caught me, he'd skin me alive. It was too dangerous outside of the territory; there were limits to his powers outside the borderline.

This was my one chance to be a little reckless. The last time a condemned had supposedly come this way was a good ten years ago. The story still haunted me, but everyone knew this expanse of land was not to be trespassed on. Maybe if I got closer to the Redford pack – which was only half an hour if you cut through the woods – I might run the risk but I would be safe.

Stepping further into the bridge, I kept an ear out. Not being able to turn didn't hinder my sense of smell, nor my hearing. Apparently, it had enhanced my extra abilities which I was thankful for. Dad had even told me once that I was the best tracker the pack had because of how good my senses were. It was the nicest thing he'd ever said to me, maybe even the only compliment he'd ever given me.

Jumping onto the grass, a thrill ran through me. I'd actually left pack territory – the invisible border may have been a few feet behind me, but I was still on neutral land. For some reason, I had been expecting to feel something different yet, I felt the same. Admittedly, I was starting to feel bad but I just couldn't help it.

Dad had insisted that some of the alphas were to meet with him this week, discuss my birthday with them. I suppose he needed to make sure everyone was happy, and make him appear accommodating. Honestly, I didn't understand why he was pretending to be someone he wasn't – like he'd often said, he didn't get to where he was by pretending.

But I wouldn't get to run this week. Due to the incoming alphas, I needed to help out. Leila had gone back to her old pack to see her family, and so Nathan was left without an anassa-in-training and so I had to step in. Dad seemed happy enough with the decision – he'd trained me himself and so he knew I wasn't going to make a stupid mistake.