03 | kairos

kye · ross

the perfect, delicate crucial moment

THROWING MY ARMS IN FRONT OF my face, I screamed.

But there was no impact.

"Leave," a deep voice rumbled through my chest, and I slowly opened my eyes. Whoever he was, he held himself high. His arm was dripping with blood, but his fists were tightly curled. Kit and Kyle had taken a couple of steps back. Kit hadn't changed back, but he was standing protectively in front of his brother. Whoever had saved me was clearly someone they didn't want to challenge.

My saviour's scent lingered, and I savoured it. There was no way to describe his scent; it was somehow relaxing, making me feel safe. Even though my heart was still pumping away due to the fear.

"This isn't the last you'll see of us," Kyle promised. Even though my saviour stood slightly in front of me, as if to shield me, I knew those words were meant for me. I just really hoped they didn't come true.

"I don't like repeating myself," my saviour said, the threat clear in the tone of his voice. His back was rigid, tense. I couldn't peel my eyes from him though. An odd feeling had overcome me; the need to be closer to him. It was probably because he'd saved me – although Mother knew why he had.

The next moment, I heard quick crunching fading into the distance. Kit and Kyle had left. It didn't stop my body from trembling. I'd been so close to death – if it hadn't been for a new stranger, who knew what they would have done.

The stranger turned around, and I was breathless. He was absolutely stunning – if Eden was here, she'd have jumped on him immediately. His slightly tanned skin was sweaty, as if he'd just come from a run. Caramel eyes stared into mine, softening as they took in my messy appearance. I could feel my heart racing, and my body wanting to touch every inch of him.

His eyes darkened, turning from caramel to a brilliant gold.

Gulping, I moved back slightly. His inner wolf was making an appearance and as much as I wanted to throw myself at him, I didn't want to risk annoying him. I knew it didn't take a lot to get someone's inner wolf to take control. Our second nature was more vicious, more aggressive – not that I'd personally experienced it.

He took two long glides before dragging me upright and pulling me to him. Sparks exploded throughout my body at the contact. Everywhere felt on fire – but it was a good pain. There was a small, tiny instinct in the back of my mind screaming at me to stay in his arms forever.