07 | incipient

in · sip · ee · ent

in an initial stage; beginning to happen or develop

            I COULD HEAR THE STREAM GUSHING past but I couldn't shake the feeling of eyes on my back

            I COULD HEAR THE STREAM GUSHING past but I couldn't shake the feeling of eyes on my back. That was probably just my paranoia; I had felt it ever since we'd left the house. Everything in my body was shrieking at me to turn back, to go back to my room. Gabriel was an alpha – he could deal with the repercussions... couldn't he? No. I couldn't think like that. That was how my heart got broken two years ago.

            "You sure you can do this?" Eden whispered to me, as we watched the guards pace the river. We'd managed to evade all the guards waltzing around the house – an impressive feat in itself; Jordan wasn't kidding about how tight security was. But once we were past the guards, we just had to be careful of any strays throughout the compound. Everyone else was asleep, tucked in bed.

            My tracking abilities had gotten us through the forest without being seen. Navigating was fine; both Eden and I could do that with our eyes blindfolded but we didn't know the guards' routine. Luckily, we hadn't encountered any yet. It was just at this impasse that we were slightly stuck. Eden had gotten information from a reluctant Jordan that told us when the shifts changed – if we'd made it in time, we only had a few minutes to go. Once we'd crossed the river and No Man's Land, we didn't have to be so rushed.

            Eden's plan was simple, but I knew that we were going to run into a problem somewhere. It was too simple to go smoothly.

            "I'm fine. How long do we have to wait?"

            Eden checked her watch, "Minute and a half, if my watch is right."

            A minute and a half was too long. Eden had forced me into an all-black outfit, which was almost impossible. But we'd found a three-quarter length so that I wouldn't be completely cold, some black jeans and some black boots. Eden wore an almost identical outfit, but her top was cropped. She didn't feel the cold like I did – and she claimed that she might need to use seduction as a distraction. I just hoped it didn't come down to that.

            "Jordan said that they'd meet by the bridge. Once their backs are turned, we need to run as fast as can into the water. We get one chance at this, and then it's lost. So, don't be a wet wipe, okay?" Eden's words were quick. While we'd kept ourselves downwind, we knew we weren't out of the wind just yet.

            I didn't say anything but nodded. My eyes on the guards. However, there was a slight hitch in the plan. I couldn't swim that well. Neither could Eden – and we had hoped that the stream didn't run too deep. We'd try and keep our heads above water, and slowly wade through. It was risky, but the rickety bridge was still the least guarded.