10 | brontide

bron · tied

the low rumble of distant thunder

DAD WAS LIVID. I'D NEVER SEEN him so angry. We were sitting in his office, I was still wearing mud-soaked clothes and he was in his pyjamas. There were slight indents in his skin from where he'd been laying on his pillow. Even though he probably wasn't completely awake, his eyes still portrayed his fury.

"Again, you've gone against my laws?" His voice slowly rose with every word, his chest heaving heavily. I could feel the tension in the air; it was thick and horrible. Not even a wrecking ball crashed through his double-glazed window could shatter it.

"I... I just wanted to thank Alpha Redford, and invite him to the party personally. It might have been... better coming from me," looking at his desk, I made sure my eyes were downcast. My voice was meek – it wouldn't rile him up any further. If needs be, I'd fully submit to him. Dad was not a force to be reckoned with.

"Was I not clear that you weren't to leave the house without my permission?" If I had a tail, it would be in between my legs, and I'd be cowering. Whatever punishment Dad was cooking up would be severe. I knew that. I'd crossed a line that should never have been crossed, and being his daughter made it worse, "You also decided to take a defenceless – and mateless, should I add – female with you! This is completely unacceptable behaviour for an alpha's daughter! How do you think the pack will see this?"

"They–," my words were nothing to Dad. He didn't even stop in his rampage to listen to what I would possibly say.

"They will see this as weakness. The alpha's own daughter disobeying his orders!" He slammed a fist down, and a loud crack echoed round the room. The wood splintered, almost half-way across his desk. I trembled involuntarily, "Tell me, Kathryn, what happens to weak alphas?"

"They die."

"Exactly. Do you want to see me executed? My head on the chopping block? Your father, to be sent to his death? I have given you everything – I've provided you with shelter, food! I've given you the best life you could possibly have!"

"No, Alpha," keeping my head bowed, I lowered slightly. There was a rumble from Dad's chest; he was happy to know that I had accepted his place in the pack. That I knew I was below him.

"Then why must you test me? Two days in a row! The first in front of a neighbouring alpha, and now you humiliate me in front of my pack!" I could imagine him glaring at me, sending daggers my way. To embarrass an alpha was worse than treason, in Dad's eyes, "Can you imagine my embarrassment and horror seeing you dragged back by my own guards? You look like you've been dragged through shit! You aren't presentable, and do not even look like my daughter."