06 | mizpah

miz · pah

the deep emotional bond between people

"THAT'S NOT FAIR, YOU CHEATED!" NATHAN slapped my arm. I winced in pain before retaliating with a pillow.

"I didn't cheat. I'm just better than you," I grinned. Nathan was always a sore loser – I really wondered how Leila put up with him. Actually, he was always popular 'with the ladies' (as Nathan would say) but I really couldn't understand it. Maybe it was because he was my sibling but still.

"Why don't you go bother Eden?" He grumbled, annoyed that I'd beaten him at Mario Kart. I just laughed his excuses off – he could never admit that this was the one game I could beat him at.

"She's busy. Am I not allowed to spend time with my dear brother?" He cringed at the end of my question. I just giggled and got off the bean bag to look at his DVDs. Nathan had agreed to watch a film with me, but we managed to get into a heated argument. As always, we decided by playing a quick game. Usually, it was 'rock, paper, scissors' but today I'd offered a game of Mario Kart to decide who chose the film.

"Would you hurry up and pick? I have things to do later," he complained.

"Leila isn't here. Do you really want to spend the rest of your afternoon listening to Dad ramble on about the pack?" I took a quick glance behind me to see Nathan rubbing his face. He looked exhausted. I could imagine that being trained by Dad constantly was tiring. I considered myself lucky that he showed me how to do paperwork and left me to it.

In Dad's eyes, the alpha was there to instil fear and respect into the pack; to make sure everyone followed the laws he'd set. The anassa was there to pick up the paperwork and run the pack smoothly so that the alpha could focus on protecting what was his. Neither job was pleasant but I wasn't being lectured and taught on etiquette. I'd been through that, but the anassa's personality should have been similar to a normal she-wolf's: obedient and silent.

"How about The Babadook?" I turned the case in my hand, reading the blurb on the back. A single mum with fears of monsters and a strange book. Sounded spooky. Without waiting for Nathan's answer, I popped it into the DVD player before jumping back onto the bean bag.

"If you scream at any point, or hide behind anything... you take on my alpha duties tomorrow," Nathan bargained. I held back a smile.

"Fine," I wasn't normally a competitive person, but I seemed to be with Nathan. It was really odd – but it could have also been our father pushing us against each other as children. We always needed to be the better sibling, the one who Dad loved more. Luckily, it hadn't damaged our relationship too much but sometimes it became strained, "But if you scream or hide, you have to wear a dress to our party."