The Lady Quill Chronicles - The Promise - Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

Rand stood looking as Leofric supported Finan, they made their way ponderously towards the chair that Drogo had set outside in the cold air. Eda and Adele hovered nearby looking anxious but knowing that Finan would not like them to fuss.

Finan had been, despite his dislike of the situation, a model patient and in return Adele and Eda had tried not to interfere overmuch.

Leofric lowered him into the chair casting an anxious look at his face, it was much paler than it had been and beads of perspiration stood out on his brow. It would have been best if he had stayed in bed but Finan had been determined, just as Rafe had known he would be.

Leofric had decided not to argue, for such an action would only make Finan stubborn and push him to even more strenuous activities. Better to let him have his way, he would soon see that he was not well enough to do more than sit in the chair that Drogo had provided, without the incentive of argument he would have no reason to do more.

Adele shivered in the cold air, more than anything she wished to wrap one of the thick furs around Finan but she knew he would rather freeze then have his men see him swaddled as a infant.

“Will he be all right?”

Eda jumped as she heard Rand's voice, low and close to her ear.

“So long as he does not stay out here too long,” replied Eda trying not to notice the way her heart had begun to thump heavily. She took a deliberate step away from him and Rand was surprised by an urgent desire to pull her back. Instead he asked the question he'd been longing to ask but had not found the appropriate time or place to do so.

“Did she tell you Eda?”

Eda flinched a little at his words but her face remained expressionless.

“She told me,” the answer gave nothing of her inner thoughts away and for some time they were silent.

Rand looked at those standing near, they were close enough to hear what he and Eda were saying and he had no wish for an audience when he said that which he was going to have to articulate. He took Eda's hand, she started away from him in surprise trying to extricate herself but his grip was too strong and he would not let her go. He raised a finger to his lips in a gesture of silence and tugging gently on her hand, beckoned her to follow him.

Against her better judgment Eda found herself moving after him as he led her toward a wooded area to the left of the camp. He stopped a few yards into the trees and released her, keeping a few feet distance between them and turning his back upon her. Now he had her alone he wasn't sure what he was going to say, how he was going to explain.

“I am sorry Eda.”

It hadn't been what he had planned to declare but somehow he had spoken before he could stop himself.

“There is no need to apologize to me, only to Adele and as she has freely forgiven you, you need not feel guilty anymore,” her tone was carefully neutral but he felt the words held a barb.

“I did not...” Rand broke off  looking uncomfortable, “I did not mean that, I meant that I was sorry for how I behaved to you.”

Eda went white, her face losing its colour so quickly that Rand thought she might faint.

“There is no excuse that I can give you,” he continued with difficulty, “I wish there was something I could say, some reason why you were hurt...” he paused again, Eda was staring at the ground blindly her face dazed. “ It—it was not my intention to try and attach your feelings.”