The Lady Quill Chronicles - The Promise - Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Rafe had not found it easy to go to sleep that night, in general it was not a problem for him, years around a camp fire had provided him with the enviable ability of falling asleep with a rapidity that those who had not spent time on the march would have imagined impossible. But in conflict you soon learn to take your rest when and however you could.

But tonight had been different. Although he had accepted that the images of his first battle, along with all those he had engaged in after, would be with him for the rest of his life, never had they been so vivid before or had he been so unsuccessful in blotting them out.

The night had been cold but he knew, even as he shot into a wakeful state, that it had not been the cold that pulled him from his uneasy slumber. The fire was burning low but he was aware that any movement he made would be visible to those who lurked in the darkness outside the glow of light cast by the flames.

He lay still, knowing he had a choice to make, he could wait until the fire had burnt down to embers but there was no saying that the shadowy assailants would wait that long to attack. Or he could drag Adele and Eda awake and make a run for the horses, his sword was at his side along with his bow and spear, it was possible that they could make it.

Possible but improbable, although he knew the horses could not have wandered far, in the darkness there was little chance of finding them quickly. It seemed to him that the best option, as was so often the case, was to wait.

And so he waited….and waited…and waited a little longer, battling his impatience and feeling his grip on his restlessness slipping inch by inch, until he wished that they would attack just so the intolerable wait was over.

“Adele?” his voice was so soft he doubted it would wake her, but he dared not whisper any louder.

He knew her head to be resting on Charger’s blanket just the other side of Valiant’s blanket where his own was pillowed. After a moment’s hesitation he moved his hand along the ground towards hers. His actions were necessarily slow so as not to be observed and it seemed an eternity before his fingers came into contact with her warm hand.

But now that he had hold of it he wasn’t sure how to proceed. He wished to wake her up slowly so he could alert her to their predicament, not to jerk her from sleep with a betraying start. He considered thoughtfully for a few moments and then turned her hand, palm uppermost, gently brushing his thumb over her soft skin. After a little while he felt her tug away sleepily and he tightened his hold in a warning pressure.

“Be still Adele!” he whispered hoarsely.

For a moment there was no answer and then she returned the pressure of his grip.

“Finn?” her voice was low and drowsy, lifting slightly at the end in inquiry.

“Adele when I tell you, I want you to run, as fast as you can into the forest….are you listening to me? Stop for naught.”

“Why, what’s wrong?”

Rafe wondered whether or not to tell her, what if she panicked? What if she screamed? He sighed knowing that he had no choice but to tell her.

“We have been followed, and in a while they will attack, I will hold them here while you try to escape. T’would be best if you could find at least one of the horses, Charger would be best but Valiant would do; both know the way to Valrek. Take both if you can and ride one, whilst the other rests, whatever you do, do not stop before you reach Valrek. Do you understand Adele? If you stop you will not survive.” He knew it was brutal to say it, that it did not inspire confidence, but she needed to understand that her life hung in the balance.