The Lady Quill Chronicles - The Promise - Chapter Twenty Three

Chapter Twenty Three

“Rafe?”

“What is it Fricka?” Rafe’s tone was forbidding.

He did not turn from his task, but became even more intently focused upon it as he sat in a chair by the fire in Leofric’s tent. His sword was on his knee and he was sharpening it with firm, even strokes.

Leofric judged that the time was not right for him to say that which was on his mind.

“The tents have been reconstructed on the other side of the camp, joining our camp with Rand’s, there are guards patrolling the perimeter.”

Rafe nodded, dusk was approaching and it was necessary to accomplish their plans before it was completely dark.

“How is Finan?”

Leofric shook his head.

“No change,” He looked down at the floor and his next words came with difficulty. “Drogo becomes increasingly worried, he does not say anything but I think he is at a loss to know what more to do.” 

For a moment both men were silent and then Rafe flung himself from his seat.

“Why, Fricka? It would be something to know why Lord Merrodon has done this thing.”

“I fear that we will not know why until Finan recovers sufficiently to tell us.”

Neither man spoke the fear that ran cold in their veins, that Finan might not recover, that they might lose him just as they had lost Evoric. Some time elapsed before Rafe spoke again, his voice filled with determined bravado.

“We’ll right this yet.”

“Will we, Rafe?” Leofric surveyed his friend thoughtfully. “Maybe Lord Merrodon will not be so easily defeated.”

Rafe snorted scornfully.

“At this moment Lord Merrodon sits at home weak with fear and worry, I’d bet my life on it.”

“Fear is not an emotion to be disparaged, it breeds a dangerous power,” replied Leofric seriously. “Only think; with one move he has placed all he has in jeopardy. He has nothing more to lose and his actions will be desperate.”

“That may be, but you will find revenge is just as powerful,” answered Rafe, pulling back the tent flap. “Look out there, Leofric, look at those men. Valrek's finest warriors, men who respect and like Finan. If you do not know the rage in their hearts over this atrocity, you will soon see its effects.”

Leofric remained silent regarding Rafe closely.

“What if he will not yield?”

“He will be powerless to do aught else,” retorted Rafe his eyes glittering with a potent blend of anger and hurt. “I will fight him with every means at my disposal, I will hound him and thwart his every move until he finds himself cornered like the cur he is...and he will yield.”

Leofric watched his friend quietly for a moment.

“Lady Adele was not best pleased, I take it?”

Rafe’s head jerked around, his eyes turbulent and just a little bit wary.

“I fail to see the connection,” he bit out stiffly.

Leofric raised an eyebrow and colour stained Rafe’s cheeks.

“It is a different matter altogether and has no bearing on this.”

“Ouch, that bad, was it?” Leofric shrugged his shoulders. “No matter, it has been my observation that great anger needs much fuel to sustain its intensity, ‘tis probable that a period of calm reflection will do much to make the matter clear.”