Chapter 26

I've hurt my wrist, so it took a while for me to write this. So I don't really know when I will be able to upload next time. Hopefully within a week.

Please vote if you like it, leave a comment to let me know what you think. Not proofread, so I apologize for any mistakes or typos.

Enjoy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 26

 They say that when you die, your life flashes before your eyes. Every single memory you have will flicker back and forth in your head, showing you the life you led.

 I wish that was true. There are so many things that I want to remember. I’ve experienced a lot of pain and heartbreak, a lot of things that I would’ve gladly forgotten. Like the last four weeks in Heart of Ophella. Or the two days I spent in the Arena. The fights with Aymer, the confrontations with the Professionals, the pain of seeing Cato almost dead. My father’s death.

 If I could erase all those memories, I would’ve done it in a heartbeat. 

 But then there are the good things. Because as unbelievable as it sounds, something good came out of these Games too. It brought me and Cato closer, both physically and emotionally. The many hours I spent with Chason in the music room are also worth remembering. The dances we shared. All the tears I shed… he was always there to comfort me. Every single time I fell apart, he was there to pick up the pieces.

 I would’ve welcomed all the bad stuffs if I could have the good.

 But instead…there is nothing. Just an emptiness. Nothing bad, but nothing good either. So this is what happens when you die. You don’t have flashbacks, you don’t get to recall all the good things that happened in your life. And you sure as hell don’t come to a better place. I guess it makes sense, though. Of course you can’t just die and go to heaven. It’s too easy. You’re supposed to live only one lifetime, 70-80 years to experience happiness, adventure and love. If death is better than living, then why would you want to live in the first place?

 Death is supposed to be like this. Dark. Empty. Lonely. 

 And then I realize that my eyes are closed. It’s surprising to discover that I can actually open them, and what is even more shocking is the fact that I can see everything. The white snow on the ground, the tiny rocks and plants hiding under the snowflakes. The light of the morning sun.

 And finally…Chason’s deep, azure-blue eyes. If this is how my afterlife is going to be, then I have absolutely nothing to complain about.

 He stares at me in shock, his beautiful eyes widened and his mouth hanging open.

 Then I do something that I thought I’d never be able to do again. I smile.

 He visibly relaxes, as he lets out a heavy sigh of relief. “Runa?” he breathes. “Runa, say something. Please say something,” he pleads.

 I can say something? Is that even possible? What am I now, exactly? A ghost? Can ghosts talk? More importantly, can he hear me? I try to open my mouth, but no words come out of it. So I smile again. It feels weird. My jaw is stiff, and my lips numb.

 Chason carefully takes my hand, intertwining my fingers with his. I flinch as his warm, soft skin brushes against my palm. I can’t be a ghost then. Ghosts can’t interact physically with humans, I’m sure of it. I look at my hand, furrowing my brow in confusion. I don’t really know that much about ghosts or spirits or whatever, but whatever it is that I am, I shouldn’t be able to bleed. I shouldn’t have bloody, deep cuts and scratch marks on my palm and wrist.