Chapter 28: Jason's Ego Goes Down the Toilet

Annabeth

            Annabeth knew that Hazel and Percy wouldn't be fit for fighting for awhile. She also knew that they would both protest that they were fine and try to help out anyways. It was just something they did.

            With the help of Piper, Hazel was set down in a bed in the infirmary. She was unconscious before she even hit the pillow. Her skin was burned badly in many different areas, and she had a long cut on the side of her face that was oozing blood. Her temperature was rising every minute, so the demigods feared what would happen if they gave her ambrosia or nectar until it went down.

            Percy, on the other hand, was fine, other than his foot. Annabeth wanted to hurl at the sight of it. His shoe was almost completely black and full of holes. His foot was also broken and crushed even more from the heavy weight of the tree. They had yet to see the extent of the damage of his foot until they removed his shoe. Annabeth wasn't even sure if she wanted to be in the room for that.

            "We have to take it off, Perce," Piper reminded the Son of Poseidon, who grimaced in response as he anticipated the coming pain of it all.

            "I know, I know," He frowned. "Just take it off. It won't be that bad. Nothing ambrosia and nectar can't fix." Percy chuckled nervously. Annabeth took his hand in hers and squeezed it gently.

            Jason crouched down and gripped Percy's burnt shoe. He glanced up at Percy for permission to continue. Percy nodded at him to pull it off. Annabeth watched as Jason started to pull it off as gently as possible. Percy winced, and Annabeth felt his grip on her hand tighten tremendously as it came off. Annabeth saw Percy bite his lip, drawing blood.

            When they finally removed his shoe, Annabeth remembered they had to take off his sock, too. Jason began to slip it off slowly. Since he knew that they were getting nowhere, though, Jason yanked the rest of it off his foot. Percy cried out in pain.

            Percy's foot was bright red with skin peeling off. It was a disgusting sight. Because he was the Son of Poseidon, though, it wasn't nearly as bad as it could've been. Jason poured some water over it to help the burn, and then carefully wrapped it up. Annabeth handed Percy half a square of ambrosia, and he gobbled it up in no time.

            "So," Annabeth started, "Do you guys think Hazel will go through her mental test while she's unconscious?"

            "It seems like the logical thing," Jason agreed. "Then again, when has Gaea and her army ever tried to do anything logic?"

            "Can you move your 'smart people talk' somewhere else," Percy chuckled. "Sorry, I'm just sort of tired, and I'm not sure if I can sleep with you two blabbering about boring logical stuff."

            Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Of course you don't, because you're the opposite of logical." She scurried up and kissed him on the check. "Get some rest." Then, she exited the infirmary with Jason on her trail.

            "Do you want to help me plan out our next move?" Jason wondered. "I could use an extra brain. Plus, it can get sort of lonely at sometimes."

            "What about Piper? I thought that you two made up," Annabeth responded, surprised that she would be Jason's first choice.

            Jason shrugged. "Yeah, we did. I just figured that since you're so good at making plans, that maybe you'd be better off helping me. After all, we need a darn brilliant plan if we're going to stop Gaea in five days."