Chapter 57: The Truth Revealed

Hazel

The earthquake hit full force. They were just walking along when suddenly a slight tremor sounded beneath Hazel's feet. At first, she thought nothing of it. They all continued walking. Then, it increased in size and strength. Soon, the demigods were all on the ground, rubble falling around them.

"What's-?" Frank started, only to be cut off as debris collapsed right beside him. Hazel rolled out of the way of a particularly large cement chunk. Her arm flared up in pain. She knew there would be a giant, ugly bruise there soon; however, a bruise was better than a broken arm. She covered her head with her good arm.

Suddenly, it all stopped. The city definitely took a beating, though. Buildings were destroyed or collapsing. The streets filled with rubble. Cars and sidewalks were smashed to bits and pieces. No sounds anywhere.

"What just happened?" Frank questioned, finishing his thought from earlier. Annabeth helped Hazel up, grimacing at her already bruising arm.

"I'm not sure," Annabeth admitted. "But it just means we need to get to the Empire State Building faster. Something is going down." Hazel didn't say anything. She knew what Annabeth was hoping it was. She was hoping it was Percy that caused the earthquake.

They headed toward the Empire State Building. Annabeth concluded earlier it was the best place to look as of now. It was the heart of the war with Zeus. As they neared closer, Hazel noticed something peculiar. There were absolutely no monsters in sight. At first she assumed the earthquake wiped them all out. Then, she realized, it would be too easy that way. The monsters certainly weren't dead. They were just hiding.

Frank took her hand as they entered the Empire State Building through the broken doors. Glass cracked beneath their feet. Annabeth was a little bit ahead, scanning the perimeter. A single, eerie light flickered from the caved in ceiling.

The couple watched as the Daughter of Athena approached a body slumped over the bloody desk. His eyes were still open, wide and petrified in fear. She rolled him over. The body landed with a thump on the floor. Hazel cringed. Then, Annabeth pulled a single key from his pocket, continuing to close his eyes.

"This key will take us up to Olympus," She explained. "If Olympus is still there, that is." At that moment, they entered the elevator. Annabeth turned the key into the compartment. Instantly, the elevator jolted. They shot upwards. Hazel gripped the railings, feeling as if she was going to be sick.

As soon as it started, it stopped. Music played happily in the background. It was ironic in a situation like theirs.

When the elevator doors opened, Hazel gasped in tune with the others. It was all destroyed. Rubble covered the floor, broken pieces of statues and thrones. Frank put a hand on Annabeth's shoulder, paying respect to all of her hard work gone to waste.

"What now?" Hazel wondered, turning to Annabeth for guidance. She looked around the broken room, once golden and bright.

"We look around, we search for anyone or anything. Let's split up. It will be faster." Hazel was skeptical about her idea. Splitting up? Would that be the smartest or safest plan?

"Are you sure we should split up?" She questioned, voicing her opinion. Annabeth, who was investigating around the room, nodded.

"Yes, we need to. We'll cover more ground that way. If any of you need help, just call, okay? Trust me, we'll be fine. I'll go to the right, Frank, you go to the left, and Hazel can go straight ahead. We'll meet back up here in twenty or so minutes if we don't find anything?"